Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkpdogg

Reaction score
Wow, this one kicked my azz! Just tried it at the Flying Saucer in Addison, TX. This is probably the only beer I've had where I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. It was hoppy as hell, but then so sweet that it covered up the bitterness completely ... so much that it was too sweet and I had a hard time finishing it. It came with a hefty $12 price, but then with the 18%+ ABV, I guess it's not a bad deal since it's essentially three beers in one!

Anyone else try this one?

I think you'll find that most everyone here has had it at least once. I've only had it once but have 2 more bottles cellaring (one 2007 and one 2008). It's one of those beers that are an experience. I did enjoy the bottle i had but found it VERY sweet, so much sweetness that I hardly got any bitterness perception and would think of it more barleywineish if I did a blind taste test. It's an example of an extreme beer for sure and I'm glad breweries like Dogfish Head are constantly pushing the envelope of what beer is and can be.

I live in MD near the DE line so Dogfish Head is nothing new. They really haven't impressed me too much with their beers. The 60min IPA is ....well it's too harsh for me. The 120.....is almost undrinkable with it's sweetness (definitetly has a winey taste). I have found however that I actually enjoy the 90min IPA. I think it hits a nice balance between the bitterness and the sweet. Plus....2 or 'em will do ya....

I found a bunch in Wegmans and grabbed one last night. $7.49 for a 12oz'r.... definitely a once in a great while treat. Some say its too winey, etc etc, but thats what you are going to get out of a 20% beer. Its basically a malt port at this point. Same thing happened to the Sam Adams Triple Bock. It was so high in alcohol and sugar that it was more like a port.... yet everyone expected it to taste like a standard bock or something.

I have enjoyed a few 120 minutes. I always drink it in a brandy snifter and just sip and enjoy it. I think it is excellent in this manner, I would never poor a pint of it and just go to town! I also think the hops are lost among the sweetness and alcohol, but overall it is a great beer to be slowly enjoyed.

Back