Sanke keg fermenters back from powder coating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im_Lars

Reaction score
A friend of mine who works at the local beer distributor got me some kegs a couple of months back. After collecting dust I decided I needed to do something with them so I decided to build fermenters. I know there are kits for Sankes but I wanted to able to get inside to clean. I cut the tops off like you would for keggles, built rotating racking arms using TC fittings, added legs and then had the outside power coated. I still have to add a ball lock valve to the lids for venting and adding co2 pressure when transferring.

IMAG0487.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

IMAG0489.jpg

IMAG0490.jpg

Nice work. I have similar ideas but using a 4" tri clamp weld on fitting with cap on top. Just like the Sabco fermenter. yours look likes its more straight forward. And simple

Again, Nice work

They look really nice. Do you know any of the details on powder(s) they used? That looks rather similar to the "chrome" I used on some motorcycle parts. I quickly realized that it scratches fairly easy without a more durable clear powder layer on top.

They look really nice. Do you know any of the details on powder(s) they used? That looks rather similar to the "chrome" I used on some motorcycle parts. I quickly realized that it scratches fairly easy without a more durable clear powder layer on top.

Yes it is the color chrome. The guy that did the power coating told me the clear dulls the finish so I didn't have him put the clear over the top. The fermenters just sit in a corner of my brew room and don't come in contact with anything but my hands. So I'm hoping the softer finish is not going to be a problem. I'm planning to clean in place so they wouldn't have to be laid in the sink. Hopefully I'm not going to regret not putting the clear on.

I use sanke's as well I use domed lids from Faberware 12" skillet they are stainless steel and can handle a o ring from a 5 gal bucket. I then just use a ratcheting strap to hold the lid down. Drip a 7/8 hole for a 1" blow off tube :rockin:

I use sanke's as well I use domed lids from Faberware 12" skillet they are stainless steel and can handle a o ring from a 5 gal bucket. I then just use a ratcheting strap to hold the lid down. Drip a 7/8 hole for a 1" blow off tube :rockin:
I was going to add a ball lock valve to the lid for venting. I was planning on leaving the threaded part on the lid and attach a 1/2 or 5/8 hose and then when it came time to transfer to the cornys I would take the hose off and screw the valve back on and add a little co2 pressure. My question is do you think that is going to be a big enough opening for venting or is it going to get plugged all the time.

Those kegs look awesome powder coated, and I love the legs (nice work and those welds look professional). I ferment in a Sanke and use the Brewers Hardware setup and it only has 1/2" SS tubing for the blow off and it's plenty big, and I don't see any reason why your suggested setup wouldn't work the same...I've also used a Corny to ferment in before and done exactly what you're suggesting with putting tubing over the threads and I didn't have any issues venting CO2 during active fermentation.

Back