Starter Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Jay

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing next Saturday (Dec 1, 2012) and I plan on making a large starter so I can 1) have enough yeast for an expected 1.070 OG, and 2) save a little yeast in the original White Labs vial for a future brew. The only "problem" is that I will be traveling Monday through Wednesday. So I'm planning on making a 1L starter (following Northern Brewer instructions) today or tomorrow, then kicking it up another 0.75L when I return on Wednesday or Thursday. Since I don't have a stir bar to use with my stir plate yet, I would expect to have about 300 Bill cells ready to pitch by Saturday, and 70 Bill to save.

The math works according to NB web site, but does that timing sound about right?

In pinch you can use big a$$ nail cut to size as a stir bar.

Really? How big a$$ are we talking? I have a few 3 1/2" nails I've used for framing. If I cut that to the size of my magnet you think it would work? I guess it can't hurt to give it a test. I'll report back.

Ok. The nail I had did not work. But I have a magnet that did work. I'm just worried about putting a magnet into a starter sanitation wise. I'm fine with just shaking the vial (or having my wife do it while I'm gone). More importantly, is one week too long to do a two step propagation?

Anyone have any input on a week long starter? I guess I'm going to just go for it tomorrow, because it makes sense that the yeast would be fine by Saturday, but I figured someone would have an opinion on when it should be started. Wish me luck.

Good luck and a 2 step starter done over a week is no big deal. Your magnet can be boiled with the starter wort to keep it sanitized. Saving yeast from a starter is easier if you build up double the starter. Then you just pitch half. It sounds like you have a good plan though.

kaconga said:
Good luck and a 2 step starter done over a week is no big deal. Your magnet can be boiled with the starter wort to keep it sanitized. Saving yeast from a starter is easier if you build up double the starter. Then you just pitch half. It sounds like you have a good plan though.

So you don't think a magnet is unsafe if you just boil it first? I don't why I'm so paranoid about using it.

Brew-Jay said:
So you don't think a magnet is unsafe if you just boil it first? I don't why I'm so paranoid about using it.

Boil or starsan. I just throw mine in the flask with the starter wort. If you sanitize it then it is fine. If your starter does get infected then you at least aren't dumping the whole batch.

Back