Finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here recommend any VEGAN finings. I use irish moss already but would like some clarity in my beers.

Most other finings I find have shellfish and gelatin in them.

Increase time in primary fermenter and be careful when transferring to keg/bottle. Avoid all movement of fermenter, bottles, and keg if possible. I rarely use anything to add clarity and my beers tend to be crystal clear.

It takes a while but beers eventually clear on theur own. finings just speed up the process

I use gelatin with good results. 5-7 days later and clear beer. I age my beer a few weeks anyway, so the gelatin along with time give me clear beer. I do re-rack from one keg to another though. That way, I can move kegs from one fridge to another without waiting hours for it to settle.

On other thing about finings...

In the boil: Irish Moss

Post-boil: Gelatin and Polyclar.

Gelatin requires (works best when) the beer is chilled...ever make Jell-O and not place it in the freezer? It stays liquid.

Both products can be used at bottling or kegging time, but I recommend using them in the secondary and racking clear beer while leaving either product behind...who wants that stuff in their bottles or kegs? Not me. ;)

What do vegan/vegetarians do when they drink commercial beer? A lot of pros, especially brewpubs use isinglass or gelatin. Do you ask before drinking?

(I am not saying you should use these if you are serving to someone who would be upset, just curious.)

What do vegan/vegetarians do when they drink commercial beer? A lot of pros, especially brewpubs use isinglass or gelatin. Do you ask before drinking?

(I am not saying you should use these if you are serving to someone who would be upset, just curious.)

Here is a pretty good list of veggie friendly and non friendly beers.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint.bevan/Vegetarian_beers.html

Here is one that includes some brew pubs.
http://barnivore.com/beer

I guess some people don't know this but gelatin is tendons and bones. Instaglass is fish bladders. Plastic doesn't sound any better too me.

Agreed plastic does not sound so awesome. I believe I will cold crash and filter!

Latest posts

Back