Harvesting yeast after adding honey during primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnchorBock

Reaction score
I brewed a blond ale about a month ago using washed wlp001. During high krausen I added one pound of honey. Will this yeast still be ok to wash and use in another batch or is it not a good idea after adding simple sugars? Fermentation went well, started at 1.053 prior to adding honey and finished at 1.010.

I wouldn't let the adding of sugars deter me from washing the yeast. Only brews I shy away from are the one that had a high OG.

kanzimonson said:
How did you get the honey to incorporate?

Not sure i follow, but i put the honey in some warm water to make it flow better then just poured it into the carboy and lightly shook it. Most of the honey just sank but the yeast get through the honey easily enough.

Not sure i follow, but i put the honey in some warm water to make it flow better then just poured it into the carboy and lightly shook it. Most of the honey just sank but the yeast get through the honey easily enough.

Yeah that's what I was asking. I just imagined pouring honey directly into the fermentor and it just sinking to the bottom. In this case, even though the yeast would probably eat it all, it would take a long time for them to work though a big blob of honey.

I've been wanting to add some caramelized sugar to the fermentor but I haven't quite been sure how to do it without adding a bunch of water along with it. Some water would be okay, but a couple quarts is pushing it.

Back