Gelatin okay to use after oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I have a mead that has been sitting on some French Oak and I am about ready to bottle. However, everytime I move the mead, the fine yeast at the bottom swirls up and clouds the mead again. I would like to use some gelatin to coagulate these yeast particles more and keep them at the bottom when I try and move the secondary.

I have used it with great success in my beers before, but I know that gelatine can remove some tannins. I only added the oak to add a little bit of tannin and mouthfeel to the mead (similar to a white wine), not to add a strong oak character like a red wine.

I am just wondering if adding the gelatin will remove any of the tannins or mouthfeel/complexity from the mead that I have gained from oaking.

Thanks!

It probably won't have a huge impact on the oak aroma and flavor, but it probably won't make the lees significantly more dense either. Meads tend to be very low in tannins so there just isn't much for gelatin to bind with. It is normal for the lees to get stirred up when it moves but they will usually drop back down again with 24-48 hours. If you just place it somewhere so that if won't have to move until you are ready to rack it, you should be able to leave most of them behind.

Back