When to move to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Normally I don't use a secondary but my latest AHS recipe calls for it (again) and dry hops so I may give it a try. Only problem is they say after a week. Shouldn't you wait for fermentation to totally quit before you move to secondary?

I know I don't have to move at all but I just thought I'd try this time. But I'm not sure when you are supposed to move to secondary.

...Shouldn't you wait for fermentation to totally quit before you move to secondary?

Short answer: Yes.
I'm a weekend brewer, so I measure all my time in weeks - if it ain't ready this weekend, I let go until next. I just dry hopped my own IPA a few minutes ago - after two weeks in the carboy.

Yeah, you are supposed to wait until fermentation has stopped. After you get the same hydrometer reading for three consecutive days to be exact. That said, I have never wasted the time/beer to do that, and usually wait a couple weeks. You really only need to transfer if you are dry-hopping, unless you keg, in which case you can do it in there.

Back