Orval

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
I am really anticipating this. I just got one today. I found out a local bar pretty much carries everything under the sun. I kid you not. It was really amazing the selection. Problem is it is bar prices and really expensive, but then again it is good for sampling.

I don't think I will be disappointed with this beer though. You know how you just know you are going to dig something? I feel this way with Orval. Strange.

Which bar is it? I know Market Cross in Carlisle has a ton, but lately I have been making stops in Maryland to pick up mixed 6 packs or bombers.

If you are in the area, shoot down 83 to Hunt Valley and go to Shawan Liquors, just 5 minutes off the interstate. They've got a huge variety of stuff with very reasonable prices... in particular they've got bombers of Unibroue, Rogue, and Bear Republic, plus the whole lineup of Dogfish Head plus tons more. You can buy by the bottle so it's great for trying new stuff.

ryser2k said:
Ahh Zeno's... yeah you're quite far away from where I was thinking. When I hear Central PA I almost always think Harrisburg area...
Doh!

Hehe, yeah well Centre county is in the center of the state loller. Oh hey kindof OT, but is Troegs in a good part of Harrisburg? I don't want to get mugged if I go visit :p

Orval is one of my absolute favorite beers. I've said it before. If someone told me I had too choose just one beer to drink for the rest of my life, Orval would be that beer for me. Love it!

Orval's pretty good. I've only had it a couple times, but it was tasty. We almost got it at my pub once upon a time, but I was worried about it being popular enough to make it worth it.

Yea, I won't drink it at my local because he charges $9.00 a bottle. There's another bar in town that charges $6.00 so I do drink it there quite often.

I just looked at our price list from the distributor. It costs us $43.50 for a twelve pack of 11.2oz bottles. That's $3.63 per bottle! Another reason I decided against getting it.

Brewtopia said:
Yea, I won't drink it at my local because he charges $9.00 a bottle. There's another bar in town that charges $6.00 so I do drink it there quite often.

Yeah I paid $6.50 for one. I have always said if I ever clone something this would be it. Even though I haven't tried it lol.

Torchiest said:
I just looked at our price list from the distributor. It costs us $43.50 for a twelve pack of 11.2oz bottles. That's $3.63 per bottle! Another reason I decided against getting it.

Hrmm, our local master sells it at 79.95 so $3.33 not too big a savings though heh.

Orval is great. Amazing dryness and fruity aromas.

I'm working on a clone for it using their primary yeast strain (White Labs Belgian Bastogne).

:off: Ah Zenos!!!!!
is the the Ratskeller still open these days? Old college hang out for me......and there is Champs for Yards!
If you like Zenos, you should check out Russell's if you ever pass thru Bloomsburg.

Glibbidy said:
:off: Ah Zenos!!!!!
is the the Ratskeller still open these days? Old college hang out for me......and there is Champs for Yards!
If you like Zenos, you should check out Russell's if you ever pass thru Bloomsburg.

The Skeller is I think at this point a permanent fixture :p. I have gone there for lunch with some coworkers on occasion 'cause the food is from upstairs at Spats (New Orleans style). The one guy Kenny who used to own Shnitzels is going to start a new place, opening soon (Shnitzels burned down), anyways he's going to have an incredible amount of German stuff on tap.

So you went to UP then eh? Me too heh, 'cept I stayed here lol.

Oh yeah so anyways hehe, my point...I am drinking this thing right now.

Wow, just wow.

Dry fruitiness, some bubblegum (to me anyways). Great color like orangish and the carbonation is so nice...pricks the tounge. This is indeed excellent imo.

Why is it that I love the Belgian ales so?

Back