Beer not force carbing? wtf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrowheadAles

Reaction score
Kegged two beers on the same day. My usual method is to put under 30 psi and check every so often until I cut it down to serving pressure.

One keg has carbed wonderfully. The other is as flat as is was out of the carboy. No leaks. Would've emptied the tank. Checked the pressure on the release valve and its under full pressure. It been on 30 psi for 4 days and still flat. Scratching my head here.

Its a brown ale btw. Everything was fine on brew day and fermentation was a bit low on attenuation.

Yeah pretty positive. Everytime I release the pressure, it fills right back up again to full pressure. So weird. I've kegged lots and lots of beers, never happened before.

You must have a leak somewhere, or the co2 is not getting into the keg. Even water will carbonate. I would take the gas post off and clean/check it.

Yeah pretty positive. Everytime I release the pressure, it fills right back up again to full pressure. So weird. I've kegged lots and lots of beers, never happened before.

I'm assuming you're releasing the pressure from the pressure relief valve on the keg and not the one on the reg? Were there any adjuncts in the recipe? Sometimes something in the recipe will form a thin layer on top of the beer that doesn't let gas through easily. Often adjuncts that have oils in them will do this. A really high FG or higher ABV can also cause a beer to take quite a bit longer to carb.

Back