Pineapple Ginger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
image-2850732959.jpg

Quite effervescent, slight burn in the throat and tummy, mild sweetness, and fruity palate!

46 oz Dole pineapple juice in the can
10.2 oz ginger root ( one good size one) microplaned into pot with skin removed
1 tbs cream of tartar
4 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs gum arabic ( or maltodextrin)
1 cup cane sugar if you like it sweeter

Fill pot with cold filtered water to 5 qts
Add all ingredients into pot
You could also chop the ginger and add to a blender with a cup of water if the microplane takes too long.
Boil for ten minutes.
Cool in an ice bath.
Force carb or in my case stir well with 1/8 tsp Cuvee dried yeast at about the mid 70's in bottling bucket and bottle it up. Make sure to use a good micro filter colander and/or cheesecloth to filter into the bucket. The finer ginger particles will run through this and wind up in the bottom. My batch was rock solid in 12 hours so into the fridge it went. Settled after another day and a half and is ready to drink. I enjoyed swirling the sediment up in the bottle and pouring it in the glass. Procured 8 16oz Grolsch flip tops and one plastic water bottle for carb testing.

Yeah, pineapple pulp is as heavy as lead... i carbed froz concentrate dole pineapple and a large proportion stuck to the bottom and couldnt be swirled up for flavor enhancement

The can of juice had very little pulp as it's really made for drinking straight out of it. Pretty sure most of the thick slurry was from the ginger being micro planed. When I pop the top on the bottle the existing CO2 in the sediment sort of lifts it up and it doesn't take much to swirl the bottle and obtain it all. This batch is very full of flavor. Having one right now and it gets better and better.

In theory, ginger sediment is your main source of gingersol flavor. Most free floating gingersol should get neutralized by acid and some kinds of sugar in a few hours. If that is true, ginger flavor doesn't settle out, it just dies. Upwelling can release a finite and decreasing amount gingersol from sediment.

If true, this may have little practical effect except for long storage and such, but it was a battle that sediment free Canada dry solved with some secret technique... According to a soda history book.

Well whaddya know. Thanks for the science behind it. These get consumed fast so no long term storage is ever going to be planned.

Check out tepache, a natural fermentation using the core and rinds of pineapple. I frequently add the pineapple itself and ginger. No yeast to pitch, though I will add 12 oz of a yeasty beer on day four or five if I have any tepache left. The kids drink it up to the 48 hour mark. Good stuff.

Latest posts

Back