American IPA Centennial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyblinkin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007
Yeast Starter
1000 ML
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10-14 Days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Dats
Tasting Notes
Mouthful of Centennial Hops
I'm a big centennial hop fan and of commercial beers that use a lot of centennial hops. I based this recipe off of the BYO Two Hearted Ale Clone but tweaked it a little. Its a simple, balanced, hoppy IPA.

Grain:
9lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
2lbs Vienna Malt
12oz Carmel/Crystal-40L
8oz Cara-pils/Dextrine

Mash:
60 minutes at 152 degrees F.

Boil:
1oz Magnum @ 60
1.5oz Centennial @ 10
1.5oz Centennial @ 0

WLP 007 (1000ML starter)
Dry-hop with 2 oz Centennial for 7 days

IMG_0098.jpg

I'm just moving to all grain after doing about half a dozen extract batches. How did this turn out? What, if anything, would you do different? I have a feeling I'll add more hops and will most likely make this an all-Centennial beer, FWIW. The photo you attached looks beautiful!

jesse1066,

I actually brewed this last month and tweaked the recipe a bit. This is the Centennial IPA I currently brew and am very happy with it. I think of it as a west coast Tow Hearted Ale. If you brew the recipe let me know what you think.

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.012
ABV: 7.3%
IBU: 65
SRM: 7.5
(stats based on 70% efficiency)

Grain:
10lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
2lbs Vienna Malt
12oz Carmel/Crystal-40L
8oz Cara-pils/Dextrine

Mash: (Single Infusion: 1.25 water/grain)
60 minutes at 152 degrees F.
10 minutes at 168 degrees F

Boil:
1oz Centennial @ 60
2oz Centennial @ 10 + Whirlfloc
2oz Centennial @ 0

230 billion cells of Wyeast 1056 (1000ML starter)
Dry-hop with 2 oz Centennial for 7 days

IMG_0312.jpg

I am planning to brew this this weekend as my first brew. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Can anyone explain the:

10 minutes at 168 degrees F?

Do you add hotter water the last 10 mins? just confused thanks!

Can anyone explain the:

10 minutes at 168 degrees F?

Do you add hotter water the last 10 mins? just confused thanks!
This step is referred to as mashout. Ramp the temperature to 168 and hold it for 10 minutes. It "sets" the sugar profile of the wort.

I am planning to brew this this weekend as my first brew. I'll let you know how it turns out!

How did this beer go for you? I am going to brew this again in a few weeks, but add the 0 minute additions into a 45 minute hop stand at 170 degrees F. Everything else will be the same.

How did this beer go for you? I am going to brew this again in a few weeks, but add the 0 minute additions into a 45 minute hop stand at 170 degrees F. Everything else will be the same.

Turned out great, I loved it. I only have a few left. Definitely reminds me of a two hearted ale or founders centennial. Thanks for the reciepe! I will definitely brew this again. I am doing the 90 min clone in this same forum this sat.

I am brewing this, well a partial grain 3.5 gallon batch because I have to be different and like to fiddle with numbers.

Does Centennial IPA essentially have no flavor hop additions? Just the 10 and 0 which to my knowledge are aroma hops, or will the 10 minute addition add some hoppy flavor as well. Would splitting the 10 min into a 1/2 20 min and 1/2 10 min be a bad idea?

I am using a scaled down version all hops directly for 10 and 0 and dry hopping and columbus at 60 adjusted for IBU based on BeerSmith 2. I plan on using Safale 05 American Ale yeast and a combo of Pale US, Vienna, and Crystale/Carpils grains in a partial mashed. As well as Extra Light Pilsen DME/Gold DME only because it's whats on hand. Otherwise I'd go with Light DME. I'll post an exact recipe if it comes out good

Think of the 10 minute addition as the flavor addition. I know flavor additions are though of as 15-30 minutes, but this recipe is not lacking in any centennial hop flavor. You can mess around with the hop schedule if you want and I'm sure it would still turn out great.

Yea for sure. It's been fermenting hard since I pitched the yeast friday at 65F. This is the final recipe I decided to go with, I switched out pale US and Vienna for Golden Promise, looking for a more crisp end flavor. Here is the exact recipe I used, getting 75% efficiency with a stovetop partial mash.

Boil Size: 2.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.13 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.50 gal
Measured OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

Fermentables:

2 lbs Golden Promise (2.0 SRM) Grain 32.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Extra Light Pilsen DME (2.0 SRM) Dry Extract 24.0 %

Late Addition Fermentables:

12.0 oz Extra Light DME [Boil for15 min](2.0 SRM Dry Extract 12.0 %
8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for 0 min](0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.0 %
8.0 oz Gold Light DME [Boil for15 min](8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 8.0 %

Hops:

0.63 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 43.1 IBUs
1.05 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 17.4 IBUs
1.05 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 Hop 0.0 IBUs
1.40 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast -
.75 Whirfloc Tab - Boil 15.0 min

I basically did a partial mash in a 4gallon pot with 1.33 quarts per lbs of grain. I used 1 Gallon for 3lbs of grains, kept it around 150-153 by holding it and oven set to warm after getting the water up to 170F and adding the grains to it. Stirring it every 10 minutes or so and adjusting heat for temperature if it seemed to be losing any. I then did a simple bucket sparge with a friend holding the grain bag of a bucket and I poured 1.5 gallons 170F water through the bag from every angle very slowly. We then mixed this with the mash water and had our boil water after letting the bag sit in the pot to drain the last little bit out.

It smells delicious!

I just brewed this up with WY 1968 London ESB yeast for a party. I had to mash lower to compensate for the yeasts' lower attenuation but it still finished at 1.012, and turned out really good. I'd have to do a side by side comparison to see which one I prefer (WY1968 vs. WY1056). Great beer.

Latest posts

Back