Pushing beer back into keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a very long beer line run. The lines are run through a 3inch pvc pipe which circulates cold air through it. With this, I can achieve about 50 degrees for the lines which a bit on the warm side for long term. Therefore, I am thinking about rigging up a. System to push the beer back into the keg when party time is over. My plan is to tee into the water line from my wet bar sink to the vinyl beer lines. When I'm ready to push the beer back into the keg, I will use the following procedure:

1. Turn off the gas
2. Turn on the water valve on the tee
3. Inside the keezer, I will use a valve to control the rate and duration the beer is pushed back into the keg. Just before I see the vinyl tube turn clear, I will shut the valve off.
4. Turn the water back off and the gas back on

When it's time to enjoy some beer again, I will simple open the faucet and let the water drain out.

Has anybody ever done anything like this? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Perhaps a glycol chiller instead? Would be far less maintenance between drinks.

That sounds like a nightmare for infection and gas-line routing. I'm pretty sure the tubing cost would outweigh the beer saved. You would need a gas line to go from the co2 to the tap, then add a valve there (which may add foam to your beer) and add at least one shutoff valve closer to the kep air-in line. You would also lose the volume of all of the tubing whenever you poured your next pint.

In all honesty it sounds like the fix may be to find a way to have a shorter beer line.

edit - I just re-read and saw your water line idea. That complicates it even more, and still will waste a lot of co2.

Back