Laying down corked barleywine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburkh

Reaction score
when putting corked bottles of barleywine down to condition/age do I need to lay them on their side like wine so the cork doesn't dry out?

wait wait wait.

did you put carbonated beer into wine bottles with corks? or did you put still beer in wine bottles with corks? or carbonated beer in champagne bottles with corks and wire cages?

if the first, i would recommend pouring it all back into your bottling bucket or keg, and doing one of the other options, or just plain beer bottles.

'regular' wine bottles aren't designed to hold pressure, and will either break teh bottles, or more likely push the corks out.

I haven't bottled yet, but my plan is to cork using champagne corks and wires. I have a bunch of these 11.2 oz mexican soda bottles that are pretty cool and I think they'll work with the champagne corks. I am just not sure if the bottles need to be stored on their side to keep the cork hydrated, or if there are any negative aspects about storing beer in this manner, i just always see beer stored upright.

Back