Kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthrie

Reaction score
I'm about to invest in a corny keg system and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I'm starting off small with one keg a ten pound co2 tank and a simple picnic tap.

Sounds good, you'll need more kegs.

Get some extra o-rings for your keg. When you detect a gas leak it's nice to have them handy. They are super cheap.

Get some keg lube. Lube the rings, all of them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Are you planning on buying or making a kegerator? Any particular reason you went with a 10# tank? The reason i ask is in most kegerators you'll only be able to fit a 10# tank and 1 keg where if you got a 5# tank you could fit 2 kegs in most. That's how i have mine and it's a tight fit. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks I'll try to remember to pick up the extras. I still have not purchased the tank but I went with the ten simply because I thought it would last longer. How Long does your five pound last with two kegs on it?

That's how I started. One leg and picnic tap. I bought found a 20# tank on eBay. I just keep the tank outside and have a ga line going into the back of the fridge.

I purchased a 2.5 gallon corny a month or two ago with a five pound co2.
Im already planning on upgrading the keg is too small, def shoulda got a five. It wont be long till I get a kegorator with taps.
The five pound tank is more than enough and will always be worth what you purchase it for. Ive used mine 3 times and cant even tell if it has changed psi yet......

Awesome I'm excited to leave some of the bottling behind, thanks for all the help.

I set the psi to 25 on the regulator but it keeps dropping down to about 22 after an hour. Does this mean I have a leak?

It sounds like you are closing the valve on the tank. If you are carbonating the cider, the pressure could be dropping because the cider is absorbing the CO2 as it carbonates. I just leave the CO2 tank valve open to maintain a constant pressure.

The tank is opened all the way, if it drops is there any harm in turning it back up every so often?

Back