Cpvc for transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no problem using CPVC with anything before the wort is boiled. My mash tun manifold is made of CPVC. Has worked great for 40+ batches.

CPVC is used for the hot water supply in your house most likely. Its definitely ok to use for your purpose.

Why couldn't you use Cpvc to transfer the boiling wort to the wort chiller if it's meant for hot water

It's meant for hot water, but it's rated for 180* or less. I'm sure plenty of people use it at temps higher than that, but I'd rather use copper pipe for post-boil stuff.

I know its rated to 180* F at a certain pressure. But I'm wondering if it would warp or leech stuff above that.

I'm wondering if it would warp or leech stuff above that.

No, it remains rigid at boiling temperatures (unlike PVC).

There were a discussion about leeching concerns a month or so ago. An EPA study was posted showing low (safe) levels of potentially harmful chemicals at boiling temperatures. The study was conducted over several 12hr periods.

No, it remains rigid at boiling temperatures (unlike PVC).

There were a discussion about leeching concerns a month or so ago. An EPA study was posted showing low (safe) levels of potentially harmful chemicals at boiling temperatures. The study was conducted over several 12hr periods.

good to know. wondering if the leechings could produce off flavor?

as far as I know, the amount that would be leeched would be pretty insignificant. I use CPVC to drain my mash tun. It comes out just fine. I know that ~165 degree wort and boiling are two different things but I have never had a problem. In my short stint at the home depot in the plumbing department I never heard of anyone having trouble with it. They gave me a few pamplets to read and none of them said that it would begin to leech any chemicals, hence why cpvc is rated for potable water.

Back