Extra hops in a Rye Pale Ale kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glothrop

Reaction score
I just got a Brewer's Best Rye Pale Ale kit and it came with 6 oz. of hops, but the recipe only shows 4 oz (1 oz. bittering, 1 oz. flavoring and 2 oz. for dry hopping). I was already wanting to spread out the hop addition from the recipe to get a little more flavor/aroma, but what do people think about the extra hops I got?

If I used them (1 bitter, 2 flavor and 1 aroma, then 2 dry) will the ops be overpowering? I love me some hops, so I don't mind the extra, but I also want it to be drinkable and appealing to others.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Maybe something like 1oz @ 60 min, 1oz @ 20 min, 1oz @ 5 min, 1 oz @ flameout, 2 oz for dry hop. Are they all the same hop?. You could also just save it in your freezer for a later brew.

1 oz Columbus and 5 oz cascade. I feel like they accidentally doubled the dry hop quantity. I like the schedule you posted though. Maybe I'll just do 5 oz total and save the extra ounce for later...

Yeah I wouldnt bitter any more. Youll have a nice citrus hop flavor and aroma with what you already have. Its all cherries I think with your extra. I would save some for another batch

Cool - I'll do either 4 or 5 total and save the rest. I don't have a lot of experience tweaking recipes relative to acidity in the hops, so the responses are appreciated.

Slainte-brew said:
Maybe something like 1oz @ 60 min, 1oz @ 20 min, 1oz @ 5 min, 1 oz @ flameout, 2 oz for dry hop. Are they all the same hop?. You could also just save it in your freezer for a later brew.

I like this, maybe even move the 20 minute to 15 minutes.

Back