Well....first two batches sucked and finally a good one!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcotner45

Reaction score
My first two batches of home brew both tasted like a band aid and my third one tastes very nice. Even though its not all the way carbonated, its a relief to taste something that I created that doesnt take like ass! The only differences are that the first batches were brewed with all tap water and I pitched my yeast a bit hot. I also used the sanitizer that came with my kit, I think it was One Step. On the third (tasty) batch, I used all RO water and pitched my yeast at 70 degrees on the dot and I also used StarSan sanitizer. My question is: what do you guys think was the problems?

Possibly. Does your tap water taste like ass?

Usually, you don't want to use filtered water without reconstituting it with some minerals and/or yeast nutes. Our water here in Jax is fairly hard, full of sulphites and calcium. I usually do a 50/50% mix of tap to distilled.

No, actually our water tastes pretty good. Im concerned that our city may be using chlorimine instead of chlorine.

So on that note, I just brewed my first two all grain batches and used all tap water with the thought that boiling the entire batch would remove the chlorine/chlorimine. Is this the case or should I still use all RO water or even half and half?

Glad it's working out for you.

We are opposites. My first several batches turned out great. Lately, I've been in a slump though. While my latest batches aren't terrific, they are just so-so in my opinion.

bandaid taste can come from chlorophenols. chlorophenols come from a reaction when there is too much chlorine or chlorimine in the brewing water. so it was probably a tap water issue. in the future, only use all R/O or distilled only if you're planning to add minerals. you can either cut your tap water w/ R/O or distilled, or you can use spring water. spring water has some of the minerals you want, but not all the stuff the city adds to keep it clean like fluorine, chlorine and chlorimine.

Back