Weird ale starter foaming issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeflydude

Reaction score
I made a starter like normal, stir plate for 24 hours then into the fridge it goes to chill for the following brew day. Opened the fridge the following day to pull out the flask and it had foamed up enough to push a little dripping out the top. To top it off when I pulled it out I noticed some yeast started to bubble to the top like it was still active in the fridge. The beer is still cloudy like there are still lots of yeast in suspension. WTF, I was going to decant the beer at the top of the flask and pitch the slurry but now I'm thinking I should just pitch the whole load since I don't want to lose strong yeast at the top. Has anyone had this issue before? Any recommendations?

WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast starter OG 1.038 covered with sanitized aluminum foil in 2L flask

Brewing Allagash white clone, OG should be about 1.050 or so

Had the same problem with my WLP400. First starter of this yeast I had to throw out because it foamed so bad it blew my foam starter off of my 2L flask and I had yeast all over the counter. Second starter I took it off the stir plate periodically to get the foam to settle. Made my witbier today and pitched the whole starter. Guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes.

Well I checked on my witbier this morning and the yeast in partying hardy. I thought that since it did not stay on the stir plate for the full 24 hours, it might lack vigorous activity. That is not a problem as I found out today. Now I have to see how long it will ferment. I forget who on HBT mentioned Fermcap-s but I looked it up and when I read reviews on it I ordered some. Worse case scenario is it won't work. Best case scenario is a clean counter.

Back