Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would've been nice to know that 4 hours ago
:D
13665_835751704772_5135183_47936812_3064978_n.jpg

tomorrow I do a 600 grit sanding after polyurethane, then add shanks and wire it all up!

what would've been genius to do but I didn't think about, was have the freezer under eveything installed backwards, so I could open it ithout having to move it...

oh well

sure thing.

it'll also, somewhere, be stamped with a hydro date. I don't think fire extinguisher place even cares about it. I mentioned it to the girl who took my tank and she was like, I don't even know what that is. we just fill them

My Fat Man Porter is happily fermenting away, and my Mild is chilling. Oh, and I found a Red Stone Mead just across the street from the store - I didn't even realize they distributed them here!

Happy day all around.

would've been nice to know that 4 hours ago
:D
13665_835751704772_5135183_47936812_3064978_n.jpg

tomorrow I do a 600 grit sanding after polyurethane, then add shanks and wire it all up!

nice!

I just got back into town. If anyone hasnt heard they closed a section of the north bound turnpike due to some bridge damage. it took me an hour to go 10 miles. i heard it will be closed for a while so if anyone has holiday travel plans you should avoid this part.

got a new false bottom, 2 ball valves, 2 sight glasses and possibly 3 adjustable thermometers on the way for the new system. still have to figure out what elements i want to use. I did get a timer for one of the elements, I can set it to start heating up water up to 2 hours before I get home/wake up.

Dude Chris you are going all out. I'm just happy i got my gas cylinder hooked up to my keg. Sadly the hefe inside has the most ridiculous sulfur smell so that ain't getting touched any time soon.

Dudes, I got a request to make a Green Beer for St Patrick's day. I'm thinking of the Citra Cream Ale recipe from the shop with a couple drops of blue food coloring. Think that'll work?

The other brewer doing a beer for St Pat's is gonna make an Orange-colored Irish ale. We can call these beers "The Trubles." (coolpoints if you get that joke)

Blue food coloring should work, but the thing you want to make sure of is whether you like the taste of citra or not. It's unique and need to make sure it's what you're looking for.

Well I wanted to dump the rest of Barron's Citra Cream Ale keg straight down my gullet at the beer class last Sat, so I guess that means that I like it. That sh8t was mad delicious.

waiting for everyone to get home for the holidays. then we meet and drink! brewed an extract stout yesterday. it was awesome! bubbling away now, it's almost too cold in here.

Yo Chris, do you guys stock torrified wheat and amber DME at the shop? Its for that Graff recipe. Think I'm gonna make a batch this Thursday if I can.

Yo Chris, do you guys stock torrified wheat and amber DME at the shop? Its for that Graff recipe. Think I'm gonna make a batch this Thursday if I can.

no on both. I used Carapils instead of the wheat. It's just for head retention. and i used all light dme. Mott's Natural or whatever it's called is the juice I used.

Got some people interested in the club today. Got their numbers. Told them once everyone got back in town for the holidays we start partying again.

Brought my Amarillo/MO SMaSH up here and was giving samples out. Someone bought the recipe. Made me feel good.

Got some people interested in the club today. Got their numbers. Told them once everyone got back in town for the holidays we start partying again.

Brought my Amarillo/MO SMaSH up here and was giving samples out. Someone bought the recipe. Made me feel good.

Sweet! Just made my first SMaSH (Cascade) this past Monday. Can't wait to taste it!

SMaSH Cascade
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: Rob
Date: 12/28/09

Size: 6 gal
Efficiency: 84.0%
Attenuation: 75.0% (default setting. Won't have the real numbers for another 2 weeks)
Calories: 166.66 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 5.0 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 4.93% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 34.7 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
10.0 lb Maris Otter Pale
1.0 oz Cascade (5.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.4%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.5

Thats the odd thing. I always mash at 152 for 60 minutes and I usually only lose 1 or 2 degrees at the most. I was talking with BM about getting more consistent attenuation (ranges from 75% to 96% at the highest) and he said it sounded like a long low mash. I use an analog Brewmometer in the keggle and a Oregon digital probe in the top and they stay the same throughout the mash so I'm clueless.

I really like them. They seem to be a quality product. There is one on each of my keggles. Lucked up and got them already installed when I bought the setup from a guy down in Tampa. I always use a digital backup plus the digital lets me know when I'm getting near my target temps as far as strike and boil temps are concerned.

I have 2 of these:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/grilling/oregon-scientific-grill-right-wireless-talking-thermometer/

I just set my strike temp and when it gets to withing 5 degrees it alerts me. Do the same for the BK and haven't had a boil over since using it. They are wireless so I can clip the unit to my pocket and do other stuff while its coming to temp.

Finally bottled my Fat Man Porter today. Bit more roasty than I remembered from the keg, but the samples tasted great otherwise. Too bad carbing takes a few extra days during the winter :(

Need to get around bottling my Mild this week as well.

Back