yeasty tasting honey kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasco20

Reaction score
I brewed a honey kolsch from northernbrewers about a month ago, let it sit in the primary the whole time. I kegged it today around 1, and tasted it when i got off work around midnight. It has a pretty strong yeast smell, and i can taste the yeast. Will this change after sitting? I know that the first glass can taste yeasty, but i had one batch that was the same way, and i gave it some time and the whole batch tasted the same.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any help.

Made the same kit a few months ago though I used a secondary for a couple weeks and bottled mine. It cleared up after 3 weeks in the bottle and was made even better by leaving it in the fridge for 2 weeks or so.

Kolsch beers need to be lagered to drop the yeast out (it is a poor flocculator). Store it cold for a month and it'll improve greatly.

yeah you really have to cold crash before kegging to get the yeast out, and let it clean up properly.

you can leave it as is, but let it sit 2-3 weeks before you draw another pint (which will be REAL yeasty)

What is cold crashing?
Putting your primary (or secondary if you use it) in a fridge for a day or so, helps drop all the yeast to the bottom so less yeast would be in the beer that you transfer to the keg.

I don't have a fridge that i can fit a fermenter so I just let my bottles condition the time needed for the beer and then put my bottles in the fridge at least a few days before I want to drink it and then I'm careful not to pour the yeast off of the bottom. I've only done a dozen batches so far but that has worked well for me up to this point.

Back