Help, bucket lid not tight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was 24 hours in to fermentation. No airlock activity, so i thought I would give my bucket a good shake. Long story short, my lid is not fastening tightly. Is this something to replace swiftly? Bacteria? Infection potential?
Before somebody says something about airlock activity, lack of it and fermentation, I know it is not the end all of proof of yeast activity and fermentation.

I was 24 hours in to fermentation. No airlock activity, so i thought I would give my bucket a good shake. Long story short, my lid is not fastening tightly. Is this something to replace swiftly? Bacteria? Infection potential?
Before somebody says something about airlock activity, lack of it and fermentation, I know it is not the end all of proof of yeast activity and fermentation.

It's fine. I have some bucket lids that don't close down all the way. As long as it's not open to fruitflies and such things, it'll be fine.

I've got a couple buckets like that as well. My beer tastes great! :D

Leave it be... the beer won't notice ;)

Thanks, some wort leaked out during the shake. Should I remove lid and clean the lip or just leave it be?

I'd soak a paper towel in star san and clean the lid and any wort that leaked out. It will attract bugs and bacteria and such

Leave it closed and as stated by GCDOWD wipe off as much of the beer as possible then spray it down really well especially around where the lid contacts the bucket.

Loose lids are not a problem except for the lack of airlock bubbles. Active fermentation keeps stuff from getting in. Off gassing when fermentation is done also helps keep it clean in the bucket.

bosco

Back