Flaked Oats for extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmylie

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck adding flaked oats to an extract brew? I am under the impression that in order to utilize any of the starch within the oats it must first be mashed with malted barley so it can use the enzymes of the malt to break down the starch into fermentable sugars. I ask since I just added a pound of flaked oats to the grain sack with another pound of specialty malts and steeped for 20 minutes prior to my extract boil. It sounds like I might have a very starchy beer now. The wort was very foamy pre pitch and thinking this might lead to a very hazy beer on the finish. Any thoughts?
thanks,
mfs

Many extract recipes use flaked oats! When you are steeping grains (oats included), you are not trying to get fermentable sugars like you are when doing a mash. You are after flavor or body or some other characteristic. Flaked oats will give you a little flavor and a lot of body. Besides, IMHO, no one uses flaked oats anyways for fermentable sugars!

EDIT: Also, don't judge what the final haziness of the beer willl be based on prefermentation and pre conditioning. I've had wheat beers that ended up crystal clear after a couple weeks in the fridge and an Oktoberfest that never cleared up.

Back