American Wheat Fermentation complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nspringstead

Reaction score
So I made the following recipe that Thunderworm won 1st place Hybrids (Category 6-7) in the HBT BJCP 2011 contest.

I brewed on 8/14/11 with an OG of 1.055
on 8/28/11 took a reading at 1.016
Today (9/6/11) I took a reading at 1.016 also. DO you think I'm finished, I'm in no hurry but I thought it would drop more to the 1.012 range.

It has been fermenting at around 69F. And the reading at 8/28 the yeast was still cleaning up. Today the surface was clean except a few yeast specs.

Yeast: Wyeast 2565 Kölsch
Yeast Starter: 1 L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5

Grain:
5.5 lb 2-row malt (52%)
4.5 lb Wheat malt (43%)
0.5 lb Munich malt (5%)
0.5 lb rice hulls

Hops:
9 g Yakima Magnum (14.0% AA); first wort hops
8 g Centennial (8.8% AA); 10 min.
21 g Centennial (8.8% AA); 0 min.

That does seem on the low side for your attenuation, but with the separate readings and clearing, it's probably finished. What temperature did you mash at?

mashed at 152 F for 60 minutes. It was also washed yeast (only a week or so in fridge before re-using) with a starter that took off just like normal and I had to switch to blow off tube when really active for the first week or so.

So as an update... I re-checked again tonight and the Gravity was 1.010. It also had some new krausen or foam since I last checked it.

Is this common for a Kolsch yeast to work this slow and pause for a short period?
I will check again later this week to see if any change in gravity and let the krausen clean up again.

Back