Does fresh fruit wines have gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
On wine kits one of the steps is to degas. I assume all wines have a build up of co2 since all yeast fart. I started a simple country wine with fresh strawberries. I was wondering what I should do with this batch when fermentation is complete. Should I treat it like a kit and have degassing as a step or is that mainly for kits?

I've never made a kit, so I'm not sure about those specific instructions but normally I've never really had to put alot of effort into degassing my fruit wine or mead, although I had one batch of mead with a little built up "pop" when I opened the bottles, but certainly nothing that had an effect on the wine. I think overall it would depend on how quick you're looking to get it in the bottle, normally I shoot for around 9 months before bottling, and if you were looking to do something more along the kit time from (from what I've heard 6 months or less?), then I would think you could just get away with stirring it a little more and perhaps splashing a bit when you rack, and then look for a build up CO2.

All wines need degassing, but kits have a specific step incorporated due to the fining agents added after degassing.
It is quite common to bulk age country wines for a minimum of six months, during which time you go thru a serial racking process as the wine clears. You degas when you rack, but your wine should naturally degas as it bulk ages & may be gas free by 6 months. Just remember that CO2 tends to stay in solution below 75F, so if you are going to manually degas via vacuum, wine whip, or sheeting method, it helps to make sure your batch is warm enough.

As far as what to do with your strawberry batch when it reaches FG:
-rack in a month & then rack on an every 60 day basis until the wine is clear & sediment free. Of course if you have gross lees develop before that first racking you need to deal with them. Remember, you are looking for 'read newsprint thru it' clear & lees free for at least 60 days in between rackings as an indicator that approximately 90% of all yeast cells have now been removed. You add k-meta on a quarterly basis once it reaches FG, or use a free SO2 test kit to guide you. If sweetening it up, stabilizing with k-meta and sorbate would be done pretty close to bottling, as it is one of the final steps. If leaving it at its FG, then no sorbate is necessary, just stabilize with k-meta.

Thanks for all the info. Its my first non-kit batch and the newbie questions are coming up. Fermenting is finishing up so I am just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks again.

I do about 80 gal of Blackberry wine each year and do not degas I just let it sit and rack it several times and bottle in spring after I stabilize it...

Latest posts

Back