will hops grow from a cone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like it should work, but ive always heard of just using rhizomes. If you have any success, let us know!

It isn't going to work. They purposely grow only female hop plants so there are typically no male plants to pollinate them.

If you could get viable hop seed, you could grow them from seed, but that isn't likely to come from a dried cone. Also, if you did manage to get a viable seed, it would have been cross pollinated, so it wouldn't grow the intended variety of hops. You would get a brand new try of hop that may or may not have the characteristics you are looking for. Typically, growers have to go through thousands of dud hops to find 1 that catches on.

So i did a little research too. If you can get a clone off the hop plant, it should work. Other than that, rhizomes are your best bet. They only cost a few bucks, and right now seems to be the season to have them shipped.

No.

Otherwise many of us would be growing Simcoe or other hops that you cant get.

That said some people have had luck finding plant rhizome/bine material when purchasing large bulk hops, and have babied these into actual plants. Technically still illegal though since those plants are patented.

Technically you could take a cutting from a bine,dip in Rootone & plant it. Keep it moist & it should grow,as rootone is a root growth hormone I've used with success. I've even used it to revive old apple trees before.

No they will not grow from female cones, as far as I know only cuttings, rhizomes and seeds from a male plant. Hop it helps.

Back