fermenting question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman-Mike

Reaction score
Is it common for your beer to appear to have a greenish color while fermenting? Its been fermenting for a week now but appears green until you shine a light right up at the jug then its a nice copper color. The beer is an irish red from northern brewer

Very little I thought. But i may have got more than i thought. This is my first batch so ive got a bit of a learning curve

I think i just more than expected. There wasnt a whole lot in my brew pot. It was a williamette hop.

Did you use pellet or whole leaf hops? I've had a similar effect from using large amounts of pellets in a very light colored beer like pilsner or kolsch. If that's the case it will settle out over time. Also make sure it's not just the light playing tricks on you.

Is it common for your beer to appear to have a greenish color while fermenting? Its been fermenting for a week now but appears green until you shine a light right up at the jug then its a nice copper color. The beer is an irish red from northern brewer

If the beer is clearing it could also be a combination of the bottle color, beer color, and beer density you're looking through.

Fermentation is ugly though...creamy, yellowish, hint of hop pellet green, tan foamy krausen with chunks of brown oxidized hop residue....but it cleans up real nice :)

Latest posts

Back