A few questions on green beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
I just brewed a nut brown ale with pumpkin added. After a week in primary I moved it to secondary and gave it a taste. It was good but a bit bitter (not a hoppy bitterness though). I am hoping that the bitterness if because the beer is green. Am I correct in assuming that?

Secondly if it is green, do beers age/become un-green once co2 carbonated in a keg? I was thinking about moving to keg after only a week in the secondary, and hoping any greenness left would just dissipate while in the keg. If that isn’t the case I will have to secondary longer :( . But I just want to drink its delicious pumkiness!!

The bitterness may be due to the beer being green but it is difficult to say without know the specifics of your recipe.

As for aging, yes carbonation affects the flavor, but even with carbonation, a green beer is a green beer and I doubt kegging it early will speed the conditioning. Leave it 2 weeks in secondary, then keg and carb, after another few weeks in the keg it should be good to go (patience really is the hardest part).

Yeah, patience is the key. You'll get some bitterness and strange flavors going on which will mask malt sweetness in green beer as well. Hang in there!

In the meanwhile, there are a bunch more of us in good ole SC. If you ever need anything you can always ping on us :D.

I don't know what other bitterness you are tasting, although it could be roasted grain bitterness. Still, nearly all bitter character starts off harsh in a green beer and smooths out in a well conditioned one.

Kegging does not speed conditioning, although I also dont see that it slows it all that much (if at all).

TL

I just bottled a pumpkin ale a few days ago. When I moved it to the secondary fermenter it had a really nasty, bitter after taste. When I bottled it after 3 weeks it was much mellower and had hardly any bitterness. I think it’s just young. Maybe something to do with the pumpkin? Just give it some time and see what happens.

Well, the flavor of green beer (acetaldehyde) is often described as "freshly cut pumpkin".

Also a green beer may taste very alcoholic if it has a large amount of alcohol in it. Like my honey wheat that came to 8.5% abv, tasted like there's some vodka in there at bottling. 3-4 weeks, it'll be great.

Back