Day 5 fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_crawler

Reaction score
well my shilling ale has been in the primary for 5 days now and I want to know if I need to take another gravity reading with my hydrometer yet. There are minimal bubbles left on the top of the wort and the airlock has slowed almost to a hault. What is my next step? The wort looks fairly murky as I cannot see through it. when does it clear up?

Have you read the sticky on when to go from primary?
Its also in the FAQ
And there are lots of posts where this has been answered.

This question gets asked multiple times daily.

Contrary to popular belief, you can have your beer sit on the trub for quite some time. The longer you wait the better off you will be. At minimal, the 1,2,3 method works great. As Orfy posted that in the FAQs. I tend to go 10 to 14 days in the primary and then about 14 - 21 in the secondary. If I brew an uncomplicated ale I will let the beer clear in the primary and rack to the bottling bucket at about 21-28 days without using a secondary.

So many methods, opinions, and beliefs you really need to gain your knowledge through your own experience. If you need a guide stick to 1,2,3. Then you can start experimenting with your equipment and your beers as you brew more and more.

- WW

n a nutshell, yes you need to take a hydro reading today, another in 2 days, and a third the day after that. if they are all identical, then its ready to be racked to secondary.

you want fermentation to be 99% completed (if not 100%) when you rack to secondary, or especially if you're gonna bottle directly from primary (in which case you normally leave it in primary for 3 weeks, then rack to bottle bucket, add priming sugar, and bottle.)

Back