I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's supposed to be a loud speaker, shouting into it.

Because of the wonderful artistic ability I exhibited? Drew it and scanned it with my HP all-in-one.

And speaking of exhibition, what's this about skinny dipping? Our lake only has one alligator left in it, let's go!!!

At least it didn't tell you that you couldn't scan before replacing the yellow ink! :D

They got to be number one in something up there. They just got edged out for most number of gang members. I'm sure Rahm Emanuel will have it all under control soon.;)

It was only 47 last month, that is better than last years average.

We've been doing too well around here lately. Murders are almost non-existent. When they happen now, people get all interested and there's multiple articles for each one. When I was younger, we averaged something like 2000 murders a year here. I remember that most were mentioned for like 2 seconds on the news and that was it.

Oh heck funny how life can sneak up and catch you unawares. I had forgotten or never lived the drama that kids go through in school now days. This whole dance thing I think is not worth the work and emotion that my kid is going through

Last night my friend came over to be my brew buddy/assistant (details in the beginners brew forum currently). Sometimes a guy just needs a long night to kvetch about friends and family and work.

Was nice to be the kvetchee rather than the kvetcher for once.

Oh man am I going to eat good this morning. Take the left over mashed potatoes from the night before and fry them up with some bacon and eggs sunny side up. Drizzle some hot sauce over it all and WOW what a great meal.

I like to do the same with left over carrots but I guess they smell bad when you fry them. My sniffer must be burned out because I cannot smell it

Oh man am I going to eat good this morning. Take the left over mashed potatoes from the night before and fry them up with some bacon and eggs sunny side up. Drizzle some hot sauce over it all and WOW what a great meal.

I like to do the same with left over carrots but I guess they smell bad when you fry them. My sniffer must be burned out because I cannot smell it

I didnt learn to make sunnyside up eggs until I was 30. Once you figure out that the stove doesnt have to go on full throttle for everything, all sorts of things come out a lot better. hehe.

Passedpawn posted a pic of his eggs in mashed potato boats about a year ago btw... sounds like a similar concept.

BBL_Brewer said:
I was totally joking about using them for fishing.

passedpawn, you need to get out there and kill some fish brother. Here's an Ono (mackeral) pic caught during my two year stent on Wake Island. We've covered about every other topic in this thread, might as well throw some fish in on the mix.

I used to fish a whole lot, now it seems there's ever time. Our new house is a just a few houses off a river, so my San and I definitely have some summertime fishing plans brewing.
This is how I roll California ocean style though.

image-19792920.jpg

Oh heck funny how life can sneak up and catch you unawares. I had forgotten or never lived the drama that kids go through in school now days. This whole dance thing I think is not worth the work and emotion that my kid is going through

I'm not a dad, but it seems logical that if you miss your daughter being a little girl right now that you will probably miss this time when she is in college/married/adult :).

I used to fish a whole lot, now it seems there's ever time. Our new house is a just a few houses off a river, so my San and I definitely have some summertime fishing plans brewing.

View attachment 99198

That looks awesome, Wish I lived closer to the ocean so I could do more diving.

Going shopping with the wife this morning. Figure I better leave with some appropriate music

I hate shopping

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick me up some heavy cream,

I just went to make a omelet, and discovered I was out of cream. Had to use 2%. My first world problems really suck.

Diving is one thing I never had the guts for. I'm not big on the open water, although boats don't bother me at all. The only thing I ever chickened out of in my whole life was the chance to heloblast off of San Clemente Island in California when I was in the Army.

Water looks pretty cold. I had to dig to find this pic. I don't have very many of myself. I'm wearing a wet suit jacket in this one, but a lot of the time we just wore a t-shirt and shorts. I think the coldest water temp I ever mesaured was 77F and that was in the winter.

Wake Island Under Water 1 124.jpg

Diving is one thing I never had the guts for. I'm not big on the open water, although boats don't bother me at all. The only thing I ever chickened out of in my whole life was the chance to heloblast off of San Clemente Island in California when I was in the Army.

This really surprises me. Heights terrify me... depths kind of thrill me. I think I'd enjoy diving, but a good class enclosed elevator will give me the white knuckles on a rail.

I lived by the ocean my whole life... open waters are dangerous, currents can be tricky and you have to know how to swim in open sea... I was very good when I was 20, used to swim everyday... for some reason last summer I tough that I was capable of doing the same stuff... even knowing that I´m overweigth and in a terrible pshyscal condition...all I can say is thank you lifeguard team... my pride is hurt but I´m alive.

Its a sensory deprivation sport, so it might not be your thing. It is the exact opposite of jumping out of a plane, where everything is firing and you are taking in a load of information. You get less info to process underwater. Its not for everyone.

Its a sensory deprivation sport, so it might not be your thing. It is the exact opposite of jumping out of a plane, where everything is firing and you are taking in a load of information. You get less info to process underwater. Its not for everyone.

I don't know about that. Go on a shark dive. You'll get a sensory overload like you've never had.

I don't know about that. Go on a shark dive. You'll get a sensory overload like you've never had.

You definitely figure out quickly you are not the top of the food chain anymore. But plummeting head first toward the earth at 120mph is a completely different sensory experience from the sensory experience underwater even with sharks.

CreamyGoodness said:
I didnt learn to make sunnyside up eggs until I was 30. Once you figure out that the stove doesnt have to go on full throttle for everything, all sorts of things come out a lot better. hehe.

Passedpawn posted a pic of his eggs in mashed potato boats about a year ago btw... sounds like a similar concept.

Another trick that works well is to put a lid on the pan, the steam will help the tops to cook a little without the bottoms getting overdone

Another trick that works well is to put a lid on the pan, the steam will help the tops to cook a little without the bottoms getting overdone

That used to be my trick as well. I did have a couple batches, however, in which the tops "whitened" because of the steam, hardening the yolks. I adjusted accordingly.

Thats still my prefered huevos rancheros method... seeing as how I dont mind whitened tops on the eggs in that dish.

You definitely figure out quickly you are not the top of the food chain anymore. But plummeting head first toward the earth at 120mph is a completely different sensory experience from the sensory experience underwater even with sharks.

That's very true. Something I've always wanted to do, btw. I might change my mind, but I think I'd sky dive over shark diving. Once was enough for me.

Great point, I see what you're saying. In some ways you're suppressing adrenaline when diving right? Definitely the exact opposite of jumping.

I have a strange fear of being deep underwater. It's totally unrealistic but I always imagine looking up and seeing a ship pass overhead. That would freak me out for some reason. I also have an unrealistic fear of being alone in a large industrial room with large water pipes and weird sounds.

I've never scuba'd before only freedive. That was during an abalone trip at Fort Bragg. I went 0-3 on Lings with the spear gun then 2-2 with my Pole Sling. Go figure. According to my log the water on this trip was 49. I wore a 4/3 suit with a 2mm vest. That photo was at about 25' under the kelp beds. While the kelp can be dangerous, I'm very caution and prefer to dive there, because sharks won't swim into kelp, and I'm afraid of sharks. If I could just keep the seals away now. I hate those things. They're evil and they think it's hilarious.

We use poles occasionally too :)

I love California.

image-1499283289.jpg

In scuba you really try to relax completely, slow your heart rate, slow your respiration rate, etc. for more bottom time. Then you have to factor that there is less sense of gravity, less light, less color saturation, sound travels differently, no smell and less of a sense of motion. To me it seems to expand time, where as jumping out of a plane compresses time.

Airplanedoc said:
In scuba you really try to relax completely, slow your heart rate, slow your respiration rate, etc. for more bottom time. Then you have to factor that there is less sense of gravity, less light, less color saturation, sound travels differently, no smell and less of a sense of motion. To me it seems to expand time, where as jumping out of a plane compresses time.

Relaxing and slowing my heart rate has been the single best thing I've learned for extending bottom time free diving. It also heightens your brain reaction activity allowing for safer dives. It's a completely different world under the surface. With some very, very delicious rewards. There is absolutely no substitute for fresh abalone fried straight out if the shell.

I lived by the ocean my whole life... open waters are dangerous, currents can be tricky and you have to know how to swim in open sea... I was very good when I was 20, used to swim everyday... for some reason last summer I tough that I was capable of doing the same stuff... even knowing that I´m overweigth and in a terrible pshyscal condition...all I can say is thank you lifeguard team... my pride is hurt but I´m alive.

I have lived by the Oceans all of my adult life. Never learned Scuba but I did the snorkeling, boogie boarding and even feeble attempts at surfing. Spent lots of time out in boats that probably weren't worthy out there fishing for so many different varieties of edible delights. Spent just as much time in proper boats also and of course nearly 7 years under water in Submarines.

I really don't know how you guys do the sub thing! My cousin was a submariner in the early nineties. He was a nuclear engineer. For some reason he didn't use that training when he got out. He's an air marshall now. Most of the men in my family are in law enforcement so I guess he was influenced by that.

snaps10 said:
I've never scuba'd before only freedive. That was during an abalone trip at Fort Bragg. I went 0-3 on Lings with the spear gun then 2-2 with my Pole Sling. Go figure. According to my log the water on this trip was 49. I wore a 4/3 suit with a 2mm vest. That photo was at about 25' under the kelp beds. While the kelp can be dangerous, I'm very caution and prefer to dive there, because sharks won't swim into kelp, and I'm afraid of sharks. If I could just keep the seals away now. I hate those things. They're evil and they think it's hilarious.

We use poles occasionally too :)

I love California.

Cool, where did you go? I live about 35 minutes from FB.

I have a strange fear of being deep underwater. It's totally unrealistic but I always imagine looking up and seeing a ship pass overhead. That would freak me out for some reason. I also have an unrealistic fear of being alone in a large industrial room with large water pipes and weird sounds.

Periscope Liberty! Come up to periscope depth and man the scope - one of the most impressive things I've ever seen was coming up and I got on the scope and was clearing when we realized we were coming up right in front of a super tanker! Emergency Deep!!!! Cleared and checked Sonar; when we felt and heard the chop that giant ship's screws as we continued the dive. That's when I learned how hull designs can mask sounds and that no matter how good your procedures are, it's good to have back procedures and training.
When it was finally safe we went back up to PD and you could read the name of the vessel from the stern with hardly any magnification on the scope.

Same here subsalior, never been in a submarine but I did everything possible in the sea, boating, body boarding... I can´t surf (for some reason I was never able to stand up in the fricking board) I don´t go to the beach often now or swin or do anything actually :D but still I need to be close from it... there is something about the sea that calls you... you probably know what I´m talking about.

I really don't know how you guys do the sub thing! My cousin was a submariner in the early nineties. He was a nuclear engineer. For some reason he didn't use that training when he got out. He's an air marshall now. Most of the men in my family are in law enforcement so I guess he was influenced by that.

Best job I ever had. It requires us to be a little nuts, I mean who else volunteers to go ships designed to sink on purpose. But it also, in my case, helped me to realize how to be a proper team player, how to trust others when a single mistake could take us all to the bottom. Most of all, it taught me patience, I learned to relax and understand that whatever happens; happens, let it come (life, love, whatever) at it's own pace and the reward will be that much better for me.

What surprises me is how many people are scared of fish. One of my college girlfriends was terrified of them.

When my wife and I went snorkling in the Bahamas, these really cool big old grey and yellow fish would come right up to you and put their lips on your skin, to see if you had some food on you. Kind of a "food there? no... too big and nothing hanging off it" kind of thing. that or we had krill on us, who knows. I thought it was great, being kissed by a few dozen harmless fish?! sign me up. I'd raise my hands like Ace Ventura and say "coome to me my aquatic friends"

The wife... not so much. Some yutz tossed a piece of bread too close to her and all the fish swarmed in to eat the bread. I thought she was going to either have a heart attack or kill him.

Back