2.5 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardiac_cadet002

Reaction score
I've been reading different books on brewing, all of which have recipes and suggestions. Some books recommend that for a 5 gallon batch using 2 cans of Prehopped LME instead of a 1 can/3lbs DME ratio. My question is would it be ok to make a 2 1/2 gallon batch with only 1 can of prehopped LME and boil with 3 gallons of water to compensate for evaporation?

If the original recipe was 2 cans for 5 gallons, you could do 1 can for 2.5 gallons.

Assuming of course that all of the cans are the same volume!

The original recipe calls for 5-6lbs of prehopped LME. Since most come in 3.5lb size, I figure that would work perfectly. I have some smaller 3.5 gallon plastic pails with lids that came from a bakery, I believe they held glazes, etc. I figure they would be perfect for doing smaller batches. Of course they are cleaned out well and sanitized.

Sounds like a good idea ,i would like to make up smaller batches and just more of them. But what about the yeast would i half it ? or just get more and add a sachet per 2.5 gallons?

ps. good luck with your brews cardiac,deathbrewer and wetodd.

Inglebrew said:
Sounds like a good idea ,i would like to make up smaller batches and just more of them. But what about the yeast would i half it ? or just get more and add a sachet per 2.5 gallons?

I do this all the time. Add the full pack of yeast, having more active yeast is not a bad thing.

If you split up a 5 gal recipe and use 1/2 the malt watch your hop rate. Make sure its 1/2 too. Or do as follows;

3.5lbs / 6lbs = 58% : Use 58% of the hops : (Example: 1 oz of cascade x 58% = .58 oz)

3.5lbs / 5lbs = 70% : Use 70% of the hops: ( Example .50 oz of cascade x 70% = .35 oz)

The 5-6 lb malt suggestion can make a difference if its lightly hopped. For example, if you make beers once with 5lbs and 2nd time with 6lbs and do a side by side comparision. You will see a big difference in taste if you hopped & boiled at the same rate. The 6lbs will be less bitter if not noticably sweeter.

I learned this after being told you can substitute DME & LME pound for pound. Not so true without effecting the flavor.

Since you are using prehopped it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I imagine your hop additions are late (after 15 min) so they will mostly affect flavor and arroma, not bitterness.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back