Harpoon IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harpoon IPA

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Drinkable

• Nothing Special

• No Way!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tony

Reaction score
I was in buying a few singles to scope out some new brews, and bought a few different APA's and IPA's. One was Harpoon's IPA. How does everyone rate this one?

man, my ex-wife used to have to travel to Boston for work, and i'd tag along. i'd always go to bull'n finch and drink some Haaaaa-poon's. i loved it! miss it too since i don't get to go to Boston anymore......

I lived in Boston for 3 years and Harpoon IPA has become my most favorite Boston beer. I'm not a big fan of IPAs in general since they tend to be rather bitter for my taste. But Harpoon's take on the IPA tastes great to me. Can't wait untill I get Clone Brews for Christmas and try to make my own.

As a friend of mine used to say: 2 Pitcher IPA Make a Very Happy Day.

I was at an event last weekend that had Harpoon on tap. Really liked the IPA, so this weekend went looking for it locally and found it. Trouble is it’s not the same. Doesn’t have the hop character that was present out of the keg. Any idea why? Filtered, pasteurized for bottles as opposed to keg? Poor storage, heat? Is it worth trying again?

I hesitated to comment on in this thread because it had been a while since I last had harpoon and I recalled not being all that thrilled with it. I had it on tap again last night and my recollection was confirmed: Good looking brew with a decent aroma, thin body with a muddy flavor profile and stale hop finish.

anoldur said:
I was at an event last weekend that had Harpoon on tap. Really liked the IPA, so this weekend went looking for it locally and found it. Trouble is it’s not the same. Doesn’t have the hop character that was present out of the keg. Any idea why? Filtered, pasteurized for bottles as opposed to keg? Poor storage, heat? Is it worth trying again?

I've also had this experience with Harpoon, since I used to live in Boston. For some reason bottles for me tended to be much less flavorful than on tap.

poon is a decent representation of the style IMO but lacks in character. It doesn't stand out in a crowd of IPAs thats for sure. For me, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it but living in New England it is a good fall back, when a bar or store has a crappy selection you can always count on harpoon. It's like the sierra nevada of the east.

The variety pack of Harpoon brews I tried all tasted the same. There was very little difference between them, all kind of bleeeh.Like someone else said, it was like they were all filtered out or something.

Back