Did I use cider w/preservatives? Meijer brand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchi Gumee

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got really slow fermentation and I'm afraid I may have used cider with preservatives in it or something. Here's the story:

I made a batch of Edwort's Apfelwein on September 17th, but I used Munton's Ale Yeast. After 3 weeks the gravity had dropped from about 1.056 to 1.044. I repitched, light fermentation began again, and it has been bubbling once every 25 seconds or so for another three weeks. I just checked the gravity and it is only at 1.036, which makes me want to smash a carboy.

I thought I checked the ingredients when I picked Meijer apple cider. If I remember correctly it stated that it was pasteurized and contained vitamin c (ascorbic acid). Does anyone know if this is correct?? Are there preservatives I've missed or does my tale of woe even sound possible if there are preservatives?

I know some folks will say to just sit tight, which normally I would agree with, but I am gonna need this carboy in the next couple weeks and I can't afford to just buy a new one at this point.

Thanks for the help!

Munton's is a notorious underattentuating yeast- that's your issue. I'd consider repitching a champagne yeast.

Oh man was I hoping to hear something along those lines, especially since i'm heading to the lhbs tomorrow.

Just out of curiousity, a few weeks ago I had a belgian dubbel that kicked out at about 1.022. I pitched a pack of munton's ale and it finished right up at 1.014 in about 3 days. Any reason that it would be so terrible in the cider but do the trick in the dubbel that already had an abv over 6%?

Won't hurt to add a little yeast nutrient / yeast energizer to the must; be sure to mix it with water/must BEFORE you add to the must in primary as your fermentation is underway. Adding dry powder to an active fermentation can cause some foaming. Regards, GF.

Back