Heat Exchanger Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdugre

Reaction score
I just finished building my heat exchanger and thought I'd share some photos. Did a test run with 6 gallons of water and was able to raise the temp a little over 2 degrees per minute.

DSCN3832.jpg

DSCN3830.jpg

Here is the inside view. I was able to stuff 25' of 1/2" ID tube in there. The tank holds about a gallon and a half. I went with two 120V 1500W elements wired in series and connected @ 240V since I wanted 3000W but couldn't find a single element that was short enough.

DSCN3831.jpg

Here is how its wired. The green wire leaving the box is to ground the tank since the box is JB welded to it.

DSCN3828.jpg

Here is the stirrer motor.

DSCN3833.jpg

Here is the stirrer prop which I made from a piece of aluminum stock. Not pretty, but it seems to work. You can also see a float switch which cuts out the element if the water level gets too low.

DSCN3834.jpg

Here is a shot of how it fits on my stand, although I still need to permanently bolt it to the frame.

DSCN3835.jpg

Very nice....the wiring of the elements in series is a new approach I haven't seen yet...what is the "bucket" that you started with?

Thanks. It's the tank from a high voltage capacitor switch. I was going to use a paint can until I saw this in the scrap heap at work. It's a lot more sturdy.

Back