HELP!! Checked my cider, stinks like sewage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncaMarc

Reaction score
Opened up my 6 gallons of fresh pressed juice to which I added nothing. It took a while but it cooked pretty hard after a few days, then virtually quit.

I started with a 1.060 SG and just tested it. It is 1.004 now. But it really stinks. Any ideas?

So you fermented with the wild yeast that came with the fresh pressed juice?

Yes I fermented a 6 gallon batch with just the juice testing to see how the wild yeast would work. Here is what it looks like in the primary.

IMG_0832.jpg

Here is the specific gravity of the juice from my 4 gallon batch which I sulphited and added pectic enzyme and Nottingham yeast.

sg4gallonbatch.jpg

And here is a better picture of the color of the 4 gallon batch.

color4gallonbatch.jpg

Well, if the stink is sulfur it will fade with time as it off gases. If that's the case, I'd rack it if there are a lot off lees in the bottom. Give it time it will clear up. The taste of the final product will be influenced by the yeast, but it will likely have more residual sweetness.

I'm no expert but I think that will off gas and clear up pretty good. If it were me I'd rack to a secondary and leave it be for awhile (maybe 3 months? 6 months? or a year? up to you, check it every now and then). It seems to me that when that settles down you"re going to have an interesting and complex cider there. Taste? It'll be interesting to find out!

Latest posts

Back