First electric kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepinfool86

Reaction score
I'm looking in to making my first electric brew kettle. I need some help on figuring out what I need and how to set it up.
I am planning on using a Camco 02963 5500W 240V heating element and a PID temperature controller.
I want to be able to control the temperture to get mash temps and also to control a good rolling boil.
I don't need to control pumps or anything like that. I just want to heat up water to certain temps.
If anyone could give me some kind of parts list and a diagram. I'm planing on buying most of the stuff I need from amazon

Thanks to anyone that will help

I'm looking in to making my first electric brew kettle. I need some help on figuring out what I need and how to set it up.
I am planning on using a Camco 02963 5500W 240V heating element and a PID temperature controller.
I want to be able to control the temperture to get mash temps and also to control a good rolling boil.
I don't need to control pumps or anything like that. I just want to heat up water to certain temps.
If anyone could give me some kind of parts list and a diagram. I'm planing on buying most of the stuff I need from amazon

Thanks to anyone that will help
You had me until you said you will purchase from Amazon. Nothing against them - No Way - It's just that they do not sell the 'stuff' you really need to do the job right.

Oh well, Wish you great success.

PJ, I have seen some of your diagrams on this forum. There really good. Do you have one for something that Im looking for? or something similar? The thing I mainly get hung up on is what parts I need.

If you just want to hit some temps for strike water and do a boil why don't you just a brew thermometer and kill the power a degree or two short of your setpoint. Those low watt density elements wont scorch your wort either on full throttle so i don't see the need to control the boil, Suppose you could use a PWM circuit and an SSR to reduce power transfer but no need to get over sophisticated with just one pot!

You want to use these guys for your PID and temp probe, possibly your SSR/heatsink and switches/buttons: http://www.auberins.com/

I used Amazon for a lot of the "generic" parts like the element, dryer outlet, dryer cord, contactor, magnesium anode, etc.
I even got my SSR and heat sink from Amazon. But I used Auber for the PID, RTD probe and switches.

Back