Island Mist kit bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I just got an Island Mist wine kit and am planning on making it this weekend. I'm new to wine making, I've been brewing for about two years. The instructions for the kit say to have 30 wine bottles for bottling. I have plenty of beer bottles and was wondering if I could bottle this in beer bottles with bottle caps?

I've only made one wine kit to date and I used wine bottles. However, I was listening to a Basic Brewing podcast recently where James was talking to a guy about wine kits. The wine guy said to not be uptight about it and just use the beer bottles. That's my plan going forward.

When you think about it, it makes sense. Wine isn't carbonated so there isn't really any issue with pressure. The only issue I would consider is the oxygen in your bottles, but maybe we should use oxygen absorbing caps. Really though, the Island Mist kits are made to drink quickly and not store so I think you would be fine with regular caps.

I'm bottling my first Island Mist in about a week and plan on using beer bottles.

Ron

I say go for it - it will be easier to drink a bottle of 12 oz than to open a wine bottle.

If it was better quality wine, I would hesitate a little because of the caps. They aren't as good as corks for storage. Wine also has higher acid, so not so great on the metal.

The problem with using beer bottles is that you have no cork to allow your oxygen in the bottle to pass through. With wine you are supposed to leave your wine bottles after being filled, upright for around 3 days to allow the oxygen to pass throught the cork. Then turn the bottles on there side to stop oxygen exchange, by keeping the cork wet.
It also might affect the aging of the wine.

The problem with using beer bottles is that you have no cork to allow your oxygen in the bottle to pass through. With wine you are supposed to leave your wine bottles after being filled, upright for around 3 days to allow the oxygen to pass throught the cork. Then turn the bottles on there side to stop oxygen exchange, by keeping the cork wet.
It also might affect the aging of the wine.

Island Mist is NOT for aging, it is for early consumption.

I've never had an issue develop from using beer bottles/caps for wine, and I tend to prefer that for wines I plan on consuming relatively young. Easy convenient packaging for camping/backyard parties etc. I've done both cap and flip-top bottles without issue.

Never aged one for significant periods in a beer bottle, though.

Back