Plastic conical fermnter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckleHead

Reaction score
Hi all...
I am going to buy a 15 gallon conical tank from Tank Depot. I understand all the arguments of plastic v stainless. But price wins. So my question is, the tank I see being used by brewers has the bulkhead fitting on the bottom but the depot also sells one that is fully draining....would that not be better? Seems to me I could still rig a ball valve to it and have no shelf on the inside bottom.
Any input?

that is what I am planning also, get a fully draining tank and instal a ball valve on the bottom and about 2" up the slope, that way you can collect trub and yeast out the bottom until fermentation is done. drain the beer off the side outlet and clean it out without having to tip it.

I am intrested to see if there is anyone who already has a similar setup and dosen't like it and why.

I went with the full drain version and would do it again. If you are using a SS nipple, use a fair amount of teflon tape and don't over tighten when adding your valve. If you strip it...well you can see the potential problem. Works great though!

Dave

Update.....
Just ordered the Ace tank from ohiovalleyag.com
I realize tank depot is a member here and I always like to support local companies..... but depot price was $66.99 plus $40.07 to ship to Ma.
Ohio Valley was $51.87 plus $14.32 for the same Ace tank. That is a difference of $43.87!!!!! To much to pass up.

Back