Mold and or Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slinky0390

Reaction score
So I checked my mint chocolate stout in secondary, and i have this white ring around where the beer meets the glass, upon agitating it, the ring broke up into tiny rods. There is also some small patches of fuzzy stuff and what almost most defiantly looks like a mold spore growing on the inside of the neck. I'm going to dump this, but I can't figure out how this happened, I starsan-ed the piss out of everything prior to racking. I guess I'll just bleach, oxyclean, and starsan before my next batch just because I'm paranoid now. Has to happen to everyone at least once right? Haha

I wouldnt dump unless it is a complete loss and undrinkable. Can you post some pics. Most times you can rack from under the mold and salvage the beer. Don't give up yet!

I wouldnt dump unless it is a complete loss and undrinkable. Can you post some pics. Most times you can rack from under the mold and salvage the beer. Don't give up yet!

Yeah, I'll be home either later today or wednesday for thanksgiving break so I'll take some. It was only a 2.75 gallon experimental batch, so it doesn't really matter to me if i need to dump it. The fat from the cocoa separated anyway so I'm not sure how this turned out, hence the experiment haha. Sooner I get this out, sooner I can get my tried and true porter recipe in the fermenter.

Back