First attempt creating a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at creating a recipe. I don't know too much about all the different malts, but wanted to come up with something and see how it turns out. I was going for something like a Firestone Walker DBA & Deschuttes Mirror Pond. What I came up with seems like it would be in between a Pale Ale and an Amber Ale. I'm open to any criticism, tips, or advice. I am doing partial mash.

5# Pale LME
2.5# Pale Malt (2 row)
1.5# Crystal 10L
1# Munich 10L
4oz. Chocolate Malt

.50oz Magnum (60 min)
.25oz Centennial (60 min)
1.5oz East Kent Goldings (5 min)
2oz Cascade (0 min)
2oz Cascade (dry hop)
0.75oz Oak Chips

Beer Smith gave me 1.060 OG, 1.016 FG, 15.9 SRM, 37.7 IBU

Looks real good to me. Those IBU's are real close to being an IPA, sorta like mens room red by elysian. I love the centennials and cascades together. We even brewed a 3 c's IPA using centennial, cascade and crystal. Turned out phenominal

Thanks. I love hops, but wanted to try to keep a good malt profile as well so my wife can enjoy. She isn't too big on the hops. Never tried the mens room red

37 IBUs isnt close to an IPA IMO. I think the recipe looks pretty good, but depending if you want an amber or a pale ale you might want to think about the chocolate. If its an amber, then keep it. If its a pale, then you might want to decrease it some.

Also, 1.5 lbs of crytsal is a lot and might effect the fermentabillity of the brew. You could try decreaing to ~0.75-1 lb of two differnt crytals. If you want to go the pale ale route, you could use a darker crystal (40-60L) to color instead of the chocolate.

Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy. If you want to learn about what each grain adds, keep making this recipe (if you like it) and only change 1 thing at a time. That way you'll know what the change in grist changed in the flavor.

37 IBUs isnt close to an IPA IMO. I think the recipe looks pretty good, but depending if you want an amber or a pale ale you might want to think about the chocolate. If its an amber, then keep it. If its a pale, then you might want to decrease it some.

Also, 1.5 lbs of crytsal is a lot and might effect the fermentabillity of the brew. You could try decreaing to ~0.75-1 lb of two differnt crytals. If you want to go the pale ale route, you could use a darker crystal (40-60L) to color instead of the chocolate.

Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy. If you want to learn about what each grain adds, keep making this recipe (if you like it) and only change 1 thing at a time. That way you'll know what the change in grist changed in the flavor.

Are you saying 0.75-1 lb total for the two crystals, or 0.75-1 lb each? If its each, what is the advantage of using two smaller amounts of different crystal malts as opposed to a greater amount of just one? I guess my intent with the chocolate was just to add a touch or background flavor. It did bump up the SRM a few points higher than I was aiming for though.

Back