first barley wine recipe need feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsbrew

Reaction score
I'm going to make my first barley wine, let me know what you think.
10# pale
4# munich
2# vienna
10 oz cystal 120
1 # brown sugar

Hops
1 oz warrior 120 min
1 oz chinook 120 min
1 oz chinook 30 min
1 oz warrior 30 min
1 oz simcoe 20 min
1 oz nugget 20 min
1 oz simcoe 10 min
1 oz nugget 10 min
1 oz simcoe flame out
1 oz nugget flame out

pitching on yeast cake london 1028
mashing @ 149

Sounds fine, but what's your target FG? I assume you're trying to make an American barleywine. If you're shooting for the lower end of the FG spectrum, like 1.018-20, I'd ditch the crystal malt.

That's not totally unreasonable. Without crunching the numbers, I'm assuming your OG is around 1.100? The brown sugar will help keep the FG low. Attenuation tends to drop off with higher gravity beers, but 75% shouldn't be too hard to get with "normal" brewing practices.

http://beerdujour.com/Howtobrewabigbeer.htm

That's a good link if you ever want to get better attenuation out of bigger beers. Remember to ferment at as low of a temp as the yeast will tolerate. Bigger beers show off fermentation flaws more than regular strength beers.

thanks for the advise and the link. Anyone have any recomendations for fwh. If it would be beneficial and if so what should my hop schedule look like.

Realized before I only had 3 gallons for boil and when I changed it to 7, it went over 250 ibu's. Here is my updated hop schedule. Does it look ok and does the fwh look ok?

first wort 120+ mins 0.75 Nugget pellet 13.0

first wort 120+ mins 0.75 Simcoe pellet 13.0

boil 20 mins 0.75 Simcoe pellet 13.0

boil 20 mins 0.75 Nugget pellet 13.0

boil 10 mins 0.75 Nugget pellet 13.0

boil 10 mins 0.75 Simcoe pellet 13.0

post-boil 1 min 0.75 Nugget pellet 13.0

post-boil 1 min 0.75 Simcoe pellet 13.0

I like FWH so I'd do that instead of the 120min adds if you're considering it, but I'd ditch the 30min hop adds, or move them later into the boil tho. you definitely should add a dry hop as well since most hop aroma will likely be gone by the time this is ready to drink.

Back