kaffir lime leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a kaffir lime, he is going to send me some leaves for my brew. how fresh do the leaves have to be? if they dry will they still be as potent? will I need to double up if dried? he has only used fresh leaves so hes not sure dried vs fresh?

Well from a culinary standpoint, dried herbs by weight are more potent than equal weight fresh, but this is generally because the main difference is water weight.

I don't think you will need to change the number of leaves if counting is your measurement method. If weighing, use less dry than you would fresh.

I've found that in Thai curries etc., the dry leaves are less potent than fresh.

I'd think about bumping the number of leaves up by maybe 50%-100%. But given the difference in the processes (cooking vs. brewing) and the vagueness inherent in my cooking practices anyway, I'm afraid that's not the world's best estimate.

Back