Souring with Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
I am making an Irish Stout soured with Brett. I put a small portion 24 oz of the wort in a separate bottle with the Brett. The warmest place in my house is above the kitchen counters so I put the bottle there. There is a skylight that puts a lot light in that area.

What will the added light do to the souring wort? Should I leave it light exposed or cover it up?

the light will not do anything but mess up the hops, just like with any beer. you also likely will not get sourness with brett, but should get some funk. also, i would keep the bottle covered (if it is actually a sealed bottle) because brett is a hungry bugger, and will chew through more sugar. if it eats too much you may have a bottle bomb on your hand. I would keep it covered anyway, the light is not going to help the brett do its thing.

Brett doesn't usually do much souring--Orval is a classic brett-flavored beer, and has no sourness whatsoever. It uses Brett brux (which contributes the classic barnyard/funk brett flavor); some other strains will give something of a muted sourness (Brett lambicus does a little) but that's a really small part of their flavor contribution.

Pedio/lacto are usually used if you want sourness*, as is common in a lambic or kriek or whatever--or for a Guinness-style sourness in a stout.

*They're usually used in combination with brett, which helps clean up after them

Back