North Carolina Brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darwin18 said:
What? No call outs for Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, or Asheville?

Sorry, no offense. Not familiar with the state yet. Just moved in this past May and haven't ventured to far yet.

Sorry, no offense. Not familiar with the state yet. Just moved in this past May and haven't ventured to far yet.

I'm not there any more but you should head down to my buddies brewery Triple C. Their tap room is open every day but Monday. They are putting out some good beers.

I hear Sierra Nevada's going to be a north carolina brewer. Thing some other west coasters are moving east too.

I understand. I'm originally from NY but my job has taken me all over the state. My advice would be to take some day trips to Asheville and check out the rest of the state. Mecklenburg county is a bit too much sprawl for me. North Carolina has a tremendous brewing scene and it has grown every year.

Hey Darwin, I'm just north of you in Cary. Speaking of the brewing scene, I'm craving some Devils Tramping Ground from Aviator. Ever tried it?

BullGator said:
I live in Charlotte. Where did you move here from? What part of Charlotte do you live in? I am in South Charlotte just south of Ballantyne.

I'm between Mt Pleasant and Rockwell. Out in the sticks. Moved here from CA.

doctorRobert said:
I hear Sierra Nevada's going to be a north carolina brewer. Thing some other west coasters are moving east too.

Really? Good company. Lots of nice beers from the west coast. Lost Coast makes some great brews

Darwin18 said:
I understand. I'm originally from NY but my job has taken me all over the state. My advice would be to take some day trips to Asheville and check out the rest of the state. Mecklenburg county is a bit too much sprawl for me. North Carolina has a tremendous brewing scene and it has grown every year.

Been to Asheville and Winston Salem. Loved Asheville, caught a concert at Ziggys in WS. They actually had Anchor Steam on tap. Nice venue.

Hey Darwin, I'm just north of you in Cary. Speaking of the brewing scene, I'm craving some Devils Tramping Ground from Aviator. Ever tried it?

I personally have not, but a friend of mine did two weeks and he loved it. He was literally gushing about it. I do recommend the Aviator tour - it's a good tour and they pretty much own a good chunk of FV's downtown. The BBQ restaurant they own is okay. It makes for a good evening with the wife or family.

Csoulies - Yep, a lot of breweries are locating to Asheville over the next couple years. Sierra Nevada and New Belgium are the big names. Asheville has probably the best brewing scene in the state with numerous breweries within walking distance of each other. The water supply is the biggest reason but I think also the business culture in Asheville is very supportive of the local breweries and land is fairly cheap out there.

Raleigh also has some great local breweries like Big Boss and Lonerider (my favorite local brewery). More and more are popping up each year it seems. I'm not too familiar with Charlotte's breweries as most of the time I'm on business when I go to Charlotte.

I personally have not, but a friend of mine did two weeks and he loved it. He was literally gushing about it. I do recommend the Aviator tour - it's a good tour and they pretty much own a good chunk of FV's downtown. The BBQ restaurant they own is okay. It makes for a good evening with the wife or family.

Csoulies - Yep, a lot of breweries are locating to Asheville over the next couple years. Sierra Nevada and New Belgium are the big names. Asheville has probably the best brewing scene in the state with numerous breweries within walking distance of each other. The water supply is the biggest reason but I think also the business culture in Asheville is very supportive of the local breweries and land is fairly cheap out there.

Raleigh also has some great local breweries like Big Boss and Lonerider (my favorite local brewery). More and more are popping up each year it seems. I'm not too familiar with Charlotte's breweries as most of the time I'm on business when I go to Charlotte.

You hear about Raleigh Brewing Company? They are located over by NC state and will be opening in a couple weeks.

Whats really cool about the brewery is that it has a HUGE homebrew supply shop in the same building. ABS if you are interested. I went there and checked it out a week or so ago. 40# sack of 2 row for $39! Specialty grains in a bin with scoop by the pound at a really great price. Hops can be purchased in bulk... I was really impressed to say the least.

There is also talk of a brewery opening in Cary. That will be interesting..

I didn't realize they were also selling homebrew supplies - It's only a few minutes from work so I'll check it out. I'm going to guess that American Brewmaster is not thrilled considering one of their employees is part of this start up. I'll definitely go by and check it out on payday.

As for a brewery in Cary...how is anyone going to be able to find it since they love to hide signs and businesses in Cary? :p

I didn't realize they were also selling homebrew supplies - It's only a few minutes from work so I'll check it out. I'm going to guess that American Brewmaster is not thrilled considering one of their employees is part of this start up. I'll definitely go by and check it out on payday.

As for a brewery in Cary...how is anyone going to be able to find it since they love to hide signs and businesses in Cary? :p

Yeah, I met the employee from American Brewmaster. I'm thinking hes going to be the head brewer there? He had nothing bad to say about AB (its pretty obvious that their prices blow AB out of the water)

As for the Cary brewery, I also hear that they can not serve a beer darker than the color of beige or khaki and their sign letters can be no larger than 3.5". ;)

Ah I know of whom you speak. I hope the new Raleigh brewery is good but I do have my reservations - I know the former AB employee only relatively recently started homebrewing so part of me does question if he really knows enough to be a head brewer for a local microbrewery. I don't question his passion just seems a bit inexperienced IMO. I wish him the very best and hope the beer is great - just my thoughts.

Ah I know of whom you speak. I hope the new Raleigh brewery is good but I do have my reservations - I know the former AB employee only relatively recently started homebrewing so part of me does question if he really knows enough to be a head brewer for a local microbrewery. I don't question his passion just seems a bit inexperienced IMO. I wish him the very best and hope the beer is great - just my thoughts.

Not 100% sure that's what he said. I could be mistaken. Nice guy either way.

If you haven't yet, check out The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery. I stopped in there last spring when I was in the area. Great place with great beer. Brewery tours on Saturdays I think.

I live in Charlotte as well - Ballantyne area. Birdsong Brewing up in NoDa is making some really great beers if you ask me. Higher Ground is probably my favorite North Carolina IPA.

They opened the weekend before St Paddy's Day. Beer is good too. Rye IPA is probably at the top, and I like malty beers as well and the Blatherskite is quite tasty IMO. The Cary brewery is supposed to be called Fortnight. An English brewing setup where they will have American style beers, i.e. cold, but allegedly will be selling English beers the English way, slightly warm. AB is taking a corner of their space to sell HB supplies. Here's a link to an article about it.

"Ah I know of whom you speak. I hope the new Raleigh brewery is good but I do have my reservations - I know the former AB employee only relatively recently started homebrewing so part of me does question if he really knows enough to be a head brewer for a local microbrewery. I don't question his passion just seems a bit inexperienced IMO. I wish him the very best and hope the beer is great - just my thoughts."

Not sure who you are talking about, but John Federal is the AB former employee who is the head brewer at Raleigh Brewing. He's been in the raleigh home brewing circuit for a while. I swung in to check out the new brewery last weekend. His rye IPA is probably the best IPA in any of the local breweries. I had a belgian golden that was top notch too.

They also are staying true to their homebrewing roots and have a new quarterly homebrew competition - http://carolinaquarterlybrewoff.wordpress.com/

Somewhere around there. I work at timken right at 221 and 74. Might be making an offer on a house in forest city Monday. Might be interested in the archery range you speak of.

Kernersville here. Kind of the heart of the triad for any who don't know. I'm pretty equidistant to winston, high point and greensboro. I have also lived in Charlotte and Wilmington. Carolina all my life.

Somewhere around there. I work at timken right at 221 and 74. Might be making an offer on a house in forest city Monday. Might be interested in the archery range you speak of.

Ha small world I used to work at Timken Iron Station plant in heat treat till 08
there is a level four archery coach that host's training and tournaments up there. Right now its really small.

Of course they do, but beer has to be completely clarified and is only allowed to be served in glasses with a 3" or smaller logo on a single side and only on every other weekday. :D

Back