Smell my bung! Time to transfer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
My latest batch has been about a week in the primary and the bung burps have slowed down to about 1 per minute. For some reason, I've taken to sniffing the bung periodically during this entire week and I've noticed that the scent of the burps changed quite clearly from a distinctly yeasty smell to a distinctly beery smell. Since I ferment in an opaque bucket, I can't see if the Krausen has fallen and have been misled before by using the rate of burping as a sign for when I should rack. Maybe smell is a good way to tell when it's ready to transfer, at least as a prelude to checking the specific gravity (I don't like opening my bucket until I'm pretty sure it's time to transfer).

Anyone else notice this? Am I the only one who likes to smell a bung once n' awhile?

I haven't opened the bucket to measure the specific gravity to verify my theory and I don't intend to as I now keep my beer in the primary for a month and then go straight to bottling...but maybe someone else will run the test.

My latest batch has been about a week in the primary and the bung burps have slowed down to about 1 per minute. For some reason, I've taken to sniffing the bung periodically during this entire week and I've noticed that the scent of the burps changed quite clearly from a distinctly yeasty smell to a distinctly beery smell. Since I ferment in an opaque bucket, I can't see if the Krausen has fallen and have been misled before by using the rate of burping as a sign for when I should rack. Maybe smell is a good way to tell when it's ready to transfer, at least as a prelude to checking the specific gravity (I don't like opening my bucket until I'm pretty sure it's time to transfer).

Anyone else notice this? Am I the only one who likes to smell a bung once n' awhile?

I haven't opened the bucket to measure the specific gravity to verify my theory and I don't intend to as I now keep my beer in the primary for a month and then go straight to bottling...but maybe someone else will run the test.

No way i'm smelling your fvckin' bung. You can stick a piece of sanitzed hose with a turkey baster on the end, and draw out enough for a test, but i don't worry about it either, And, yes, I love the smell of fermenting beer. But i use carboys so ii can watch.

Back