Quick question: use whirfloc in a lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
Mashing right now. A real simple all-brett "lambic." Got to thinking, I know some brewers like for the wort to have a high protein content. Isn't that what whirlfloc helps to clear? Just wondering if would make a difference if I left the whirlfloc out? I add it to all my other beers.

Thanks

I would probably leave it out, the beer is going to have plenty of time to clear... The way I figure, the more proteins the better. Just my opinion!

I left it out. More protein the better.

This was a simple partial mash - 3 lbs flaked wheat, 3 pounds 2 -row (it's what I have lots of) and 4 lbs pilsner LME. got crappy efficiency, I'm guessing because of all the flaked wheat.

When I did mine with raw wheat I had crappy efficiency too. I chalked it up to the turbid mash schedule and my first time experience.

Yeah, I didn't do a protein rest, That probably would have helped. Got 62%. Usually get 75-80. This was a "let me see what ingredients I have around the house" impromptu brew. I used .25 ox of Vanguard at 60 minutes. Hope that works okay.

Back