My Attempt at GF Stout. Please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
This will be a partial mash/extract recipe. I have mastered strictly extract brewing. Now, I want to try a Stout. A dark, black beer. Might even use this recipe to try a black IPA. Here is my recipe.

3 lbs Sorghum
3 lbs Brown Rice Syrup
2.5 Malted Millet Dark Roasted (from Colorado Malting)
2.5 Malted Buckwheat Dark Roasted (from Colorado Malting)
1 LB Unmalted Buckwheat Roasted (MAYBE)
1 Cup Black Strap Molasses
1 lb D 190
:ban:

Is this enough "Roasting and Toasting" to get that black as tar Stout look that I'm after or is this too much? What would you guys omit or add?

There are a lot of threads here that warn against black strap molasses and they are not being subtle. I have no personal experience yet but have a batch in the fermenter that was based on recipes that called for some molasses. I cut way back on the molasses. I think some of those with experience would say give more D190 and cut way back on the molasses.

Recipe looks good. I have only done a few partial mash batches and am just now venturing into more roasted grain. Your batch goes beyond what I have done. One thing I like about the partial mash is that you can do your best to get good efficiency on the mash, and if you fall short, you can compensate with the LME, Belgian candy syrup and rice syrup. When I did mine I adjusted at the end to get the gravity I wanted. Would be interested to hear the results of yours.

You are out of my zone of experience but my guess is with the D190 and the roasted grain you will get the "black as tar" look you are going for. Some good posts in this forum on others trying to achieve GF stout.

You'll get dark enough, alright. CMC's roasted grains DEFINITELY darken the wort. I'd actually recommend halving your amounts, and DEFINITELY leave out the molasses. The D-180 (or is it D-90? No such thing as D-190...) will help things out, too. I can tell you that in a 3-gallon all-grain brew, 1 lb of their dark-roasted buckwheat got me well into porter territory as far as color goes. Can't comment on the flavor yet, but definitely a HELLUVA LOT darker than anything I ever home-roasted. Leave out the unmalted buckwheat, too. You should be fine just steeping the malts, they won't have any diastatic power of their own and you won't get much sugar out of them even with enzymes.

Back