Cider using Molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new here and this is my 1st post. I want to brew a 1 gal batch of cider using Molasses as the sweetener/sugar. Would anyone have an idea as to how much Molasses to use? we're trying to do something similar to Crispin's Lansdowne.

Thanks and Cheers :mug:

Depends on how much of that molasses flavour you want in your end product. In a 1 gallon batch, using molasses as the ONLY added sugar, you might start with 2 - 4 fluid ounces of molasses. Most of it will ferment out, but there will be some residual flavour; You'll just have to experiment as to how much added molasses will give you the flavour profile you're looking for. I can't taste 3 oz in 6 gallons, but I can sure taste 8 oz in six gallons. I use Grandma's Original Molasses:
http://www.grandmasmolasses.com/grandmas_products.asp

You might want to use either cane sugar or FAJC (thawed) to boost the ABV & just use the molasses as a flavour adjunct. The point being that you have Pretty much everything except the molasses flavour profile & with that acheived, you can always add more molasses until you reach the desired flavour.
That's the best info I can give you, as I've never used molasses in a 1 gallon batch.
Regards, GF.

Thanks for asking on this--I have a batch I'm thinking about doing with mollasses and brown sugar. I was thinking about 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 mollasses.

I used a full 12oz jar of grandma's and 12oz of dark brown sugar in a 3 gallon batch.
It fermented out most of the flavor and left me with a hint of molasses taste and an amber color similar to Woodchuck 802.

I used about a half cup of blackstrap molasses in a gallon and it was delish. This stuff is thick, flavorful, and nutritious.

Back