3 gallon carboy too big for 2.5 gallon secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wazzu1991

Reaction score
A relative of mine is giving me a 2.5 gallon keg. I've been brewing 3 gallon batches lately using a 5 gallon carboy for primary and a 3 gallon for a secondary for the beers that I dry hop etc. Is a 3 gallon carboy too large to use as a secondary for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Personally I think that sounds just about perfect. You May have bit of extra head space in a 3 gallon carboy, but the transfer should kick up enough yeast/CO2 to coat the beer and prevent oxidation.

Just my 2 cents.

But you are transferring your beer onto 3 gallons of air.

I usually purge anything I am transferring in of any air that might have been in there. This is only practical if you have a kegging system, or a bottle of gas sitting around for some reason. Since you are getting a keg, I assume you will be getting gas to push it.

I picked up the keg the other day and am going to brew a 2.5 gal chocolate porter to fill it with. I was going to skip the secondary but, since I am adding cocoa nibs and a vanilla bean to guess I will secondary it. To purge the air out of the carboy do I just put the CO2 line into the top of the carboy for a few seconds and let the CO2 run? Should I do it before and after racking it to the carboy?

I just racked onto some dry hops for my pale ale. I do three gallon batches myself. I have not had an issue yet. so we will see about this one. I am thinking though about maybe changing and dry hop in the primary, just to see if there would be any difference.
just my two cents.

Happy brewing,

Mike

Back