Ale Vs. Lager!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
Ale vs. Lager............fight!!

Anyways what are the real taste differences between the two. For instance if you were to explain to someone off the street what the differences what would you say?

What is the main taste, complexity differences?

AFAIK, the differences lie in the yeast used and the tempurature at which they ferment. The taste differences will be based on the style (i.e. Pale, Porter, Wheat for ales, and pilsner, bock, oktoberfest, etc. for lagers). Don't know any more than that, sorry.

I usually explain it as ales having a more complex, sometimes fruity and sweeter, taste and more body and lager being more of a clean malt flavor. That usually works for someone who's only beer knowledge is BMC

I would say that a Lager is clean and crisp and an Ale is more complex and has a greater depth of flavors.

i haven't done a lager yet for the sole reason that I can have 2 almost 3 ales done in the time it takes to do a lager.

but...wit hthat said, Ill probably do a few this year. Hell I have a Kolsch thats been in the fridge for 3 weeks now.

I'm usually more of an ale person, since I'm a big English beer lover. But lagers definitely have their place in my fridge.

Tell them that lagers taste like BMC and ale doesn't. :)

But wait! How is it that all those German brewers can take water, malt, hops and yeast and make so many different beers that taste so good? There is a god up there...

Latest posts

Back