Grain Bag Powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhegarty

Reaction score
When steeping the grains in a mini mash, is it wise to include the inch of smashed grain (powder) into the steep. Sometimes the grains arrive in the mail with little powder and other times there's a good amount of powder at the bottom. Is this what adds tannins/acids after the steep when the wort is boiled?

Thanks in advance.

B

I'd include it. This is basically just flour from where some grains got crushed a little too thoroughly. Too much of that in a bigger mash, and you can have problems with the sparge getting stuck, but a little won't hurt. It's all good starches, sugars, etc: you want this stuff in your beer.

Tannins come from the husks, not the inside of the grains.

ok, to the OP you said "minimash" but then you said "steep" are you talking about an actual mashing process in an MLT of some sort, or are you talking about an extract brew with steeping some specialty grains that are in a grainsack into the boiling wort?

After i snorted some of that powder I got an extreme head rush.

This is an AHS mini mash kit that is basically a steep with extract.

After i snorted some of that powder I got an extreme head rush.

This is an AHS mini mash kit that is basically a steep with extract.

i'm sorry. i still don't get it. steep with extract is not a mini mash. they are two very different things.

not trying to be a dick here, but i still don't understand what you're doing here. are you putting grains in a bag, and dumping them into your brew kettle, (extract with steeping grains) or are you mashing in a small cooler, or something like that, and draining the runnings into a brew kettle, and adding lme or dme to it?(mini mash)

Back